Author Topic: Liverpool query  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Liverpool query
« on: Wednesday 10 November 04 20:17 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to find out some things about my maternal grandfather Stanley Victor Murrill. On a variety of official documents he is described as a Composer and sometimes also as an Author. He and his bride were both born in London yet they left and went to live in Liverpool about 1910. There he resided at, and worked from, 18 Clifford St. I think this was close to Abercromby Square and so near the College of Music. I feel he must have gone to Liverpool for a reason. I chased up a rumour that he was associated with the music hall but found no such evidence. Nowhere is he described as a music teacher and, in any case, there was plenty of such work in London at that time. He seems to have been there until the outbreak of the Great War - he was killed in France in 1917 when my mother was only 4 years old.
Clifford St was bombed in the Blitz but I would like to have an idea what sort of premises that was at No.18.
Secondly, and I will pay any expenses, can any kind soul there find anything about him?
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool query
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 November 04 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hackstaple

I take it you have this info about Stanley,

Name: MURRILL, STANLEY VICTOR
Initials: S V
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment: King's Royal Rifle Corps
Unit Text: 11th Bn.
Date of Death: 30/11/1917
Service No: R/39559
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 9
Cemetery: CAMBRAI MEMORIAL, LOUVERVAL         

If you're like me and most you will have, you're not  exactly a newbie to this.

Just curious have you tried contacting the newpapers in Liverpool? You never,  just in case there was an Obit notice about him, maybe Liverpool took him to their hearts.

Wendy.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline Jane Taubman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 November 04 15:54 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure if this is the correct Clifford Street

The section comes from the
Gore's Directory of Liverpool & Birkenhead, 1900. [Part 1: Street List & Street Directory] page 133

at http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/d.asp
Taubman, Mitchell, Purcell - Lancashire,
Couglan, Byrnre - Ireland
Mullins, Bowditch, Crabb, Record - Dorset

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 November 04 12:08 GMT (UK) »
JT - thanks for your input. I did have the war information but the information about Clifford St. is very useful. I was wondering if it was residential but I can see it was a trade area.
I feel he was too insignificant to merit an obit when so many were being killed and he was not in local regiment.
I am not closer to finding out how a Composer of Music made a living in Liverpool in 1913.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.