Author Topic: Parish Records  (Read 1335 times)

Offline tuppymob

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Parish Records
« on: Monday 23 October 06 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi  new to list

Not sure if I start here ?  Trying to trace my G/Grandfather EDWARD HUGHES father THOMAS all the census's from 1871 state he came from GRESFORD

He was born in 1827 or thereabouts, his father was a labourer.  How big was GRESFORD in 1820-1830 ?  any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 October 06 20:32 BST (UK) »
First of all may I wish you a warm welcome to Rootschat,and wish you all the best with your research.As stated on the Genuki page for Gresford Parish,the Population of Gresford in 1831 was 3849.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tuppymob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 October 06 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hello William

Thank you for your quick reply.  As my G/Grandfather EDWARD HUGHES seemed to be born around 1827 in GRESFORD (Fathers name was THOMAS) and I think his mother could have been FRANCES as this is certainly a family name, would I have to check with WREXHAM parish records.  I realise that the area of Gresford was much larger back in 1800's than today.  Would the Church in Gresford hold the parish records which I seek?

Thanking you again for your help.

Frances

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 October 06 19:21 BST (UK) »
Well if he was born in Gresford he woulkd have been Baptised in Gresford ordinarily.We are considerably hampered in our research in the Wrexham area due to the fact that the 1841 Census is missing for almost all the Wrexham area.On the off chance that he could still be at home in 1851;When did Edward marry?

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline tuppymob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 October 06 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

The earliest record I have of EDWARD HUGHES is his marriage certificate dated 1855.  It seems he moved from Gresford to Eccleston near St Helens and as his profession was that of a carter transporting coal, St Helens would be a suitable place to settle.

His age at that time was stated as 28 years old and his father was THOMAS who was an agricultural labourer.  He stayed in St Helens and then moved to Liverpool where he settled for the rest of his life.  But on each census from 1871 to 1901 states he was born in GRESFORD.

I am very grateful for your interest and help in this matter.

Frances

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 October 06 11:06 BST (UK) »
I take it you have the Marriage Certificate?Does it say his Father was deceased when he married?

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline tuppymob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 October 06 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hello again

On the certificate it just states his father as THOMAS ... so I think he was alive at that time.

Thanks

Frances

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 October 06 11:30 BST (UK) »
I asked that for I found an Edward Hughes in the 1851 Census for Birkenhead,listed as a Carter,and born in Rossett(about a mile from Gresford) Denbighshire inc 1830,and listed as a Stepson at the Home of a John and Elizabeth "Liversidge".It also states that Elizabeth was born in Gresford.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline tuppymob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 October 06 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hello again

I have access until the 28th of this month with Ancestry so I will check that out.

Thanks again

Frances