Author Topic: George Robertson b c1832- ? in Tasmania.  (Read 2519 times)

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
George Robertson b c1832- ? in Tasmania.
« on: Monday 23 October 06 12:55 BST (UK) »
I have been searching for George ROBERTSON here in Australia, so far unsuccessfully.   Time to think outside the square.    His father Gilbert ROBERTSON was sent back to his Grandfather, Rev Harry(?) ROBERTSON c1810 from Demerara for an education.  in 1819 Gilbert R. married Agnes LEES at Gladsmuir and their first daughter Frances de Bruton R. was born 1820.  Around 1822 the family left Scotland for Australia (Hobart) possible via Jamaica.   George was the youngest and only son, born in/around Richmond Tasmania Australia c1832.  The last mention I can find of him is December 1846 when Gilbert R and young George sail from Norfolk Island after the termination of Gilbert's position as Agricultural Superintendent.
I have been unsuccessful in trying to find a mention of George after this voyage.   Agnes and her remaining daughters joined Gilbert R. in Geelong were he had taken up the position of farm managers for a Mr William Robertson.  I have no idea if they were related.   Gilbert R. died unexpectedly in 1851 and Agnes in 1853, all their daughters married and George R. seems to have dissappeared.    So I'm wondering if he may have been sent back to Scotland to family to continue his education.    Apparently he had a love for woodwork.   Can anyone help me with this?
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail