Author Topic: Doran family Levenhaugh st Dumbarton  (Read 8101 times)

Offline florabrooks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Doran family Levenhaugh st Dumbarton
« on: Tuesday 24 October 06 02:21 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone.I am looking for information about the Doran family Levenhaugh  Dennistown Dumbarton,also if anyone has any pictures of Dennistown
   I know that Dennistown was near what is now Dalreoch train station in Dumbarton, that was in the 1920,s t most of the people who lived there moved to the Brucehill area of Dumbarton,I think that a lot of new houses were built in Brucehill around this time.
    I know that the Doran family moved to Brucehill,after Denniston and have lived there in the same house for over 60+years"think the council should give them the house after all the rent they have paid over the years lol".
    Could anyone tell me how to find out when my Doran family moved to Brucehill?, living relatives are getting on now and disagree when they moved to Brucehill.
  Family from Dennistown to Brucehill were.

John Doran and wife Flora, John was a painter in Denny,s shipyard, their children were .Margaret(living) James (desceased).Jeannie(living)John(living)Donald(living).
  If anyone has information about Dennistown Dunbarton at all, would love to hear about it, trying to get a picture of what it was like, info ive got ,many families lived in 1 bedroom houses,maybe as many as 10 people living in same house.
  From family, they remember a granny Stewart,nothing to do with family"I think", she seems to have been a kind woman who used to help out, bringing them soup ect.infact Jeannie says that after church on a Sunday.if she didnt visit granny Stewart she felt guilty all week.
    So sorry for rambling on, just would like to find out about Dennistown and people who lived there.
    Any info most welcome. Flora

tinsmiths and hawkers Watson,Wilson,Swales,Hartley,Neilson,Johnstone and many more
Dumbartonshire/Doran.Lees,Brooks,Boyle,Stewart
Argyllshire,Marquis,McCoag,Johnson,McEacheren,Sinclair and Bain

Offline mrst

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Doran family Levenhaugh st Dumbarton
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 October 06 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Flora
Do you live near Dumbarton at all? They have some pictures of Dennistown in there. I photocopied a couple as my Father in law grew up there ,then went as you say, to Brucehill.
I am not sure how to upload pictures on here , but will have a bash if you like
Regards , Mrst.

Offline florabrooks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 October 06 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hi mrst, Thankyou for replying,Yes i do live near dumbarton,did you get the photo,s of Denniston from library?,I will have to take a trip in to see what Photo,s are there. Does your fatherinlaw remember any of the people who lived there.Thanks again Flora
tinsmiths and hawkers Watson,Wilson,Swales,Hartley,Neilson,Johnstone and many more

Offline elizabeth.m

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 October 06 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Flora

I too have relatives who lived in Levenhaugh Street, but around 1850/1870.  I know that Peter or William Denny had the housing built in the mid 1800's for their shipyard workers.

I remember passing it on the bus as a child, before the flats were built.  It was known as little Dublin, because of the number of Irish people who lived there.

My GGGrandfather was the Denny's gardner and he and his extended family lived in 20 Levenhaugh Street up until 1871.

As the other post says the library will have information and you could e-mail them at dumbarton.local.history@west-dunbarton.gov.uk.  They have given me help lots of times and have always found the resources they have as useful.

Elizabeth
McQuade-Monaghan/Dumbarton, Lynn-Co Tyrone/Stirling/Dumbarton/Glasgow, McSporran-Campbelltown/Glasgow/Renton/Dumbarton,  Smith, Madden-Antrim/Dumbarton, McFarlane-Roseneath, Barr-Buncranna/Derry/Dumbarton

Offline mrst

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 October 06 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Flora
Yes he does know your family , small world eh?
The library are really helpful with pictures and you are free to copy as many as you like.
If you need any more help let me know
Mrst :)

Offline florabrooks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 October 06 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi mrst,Thanks for your help, i will take a visit to library.Flo

Offline florabrooks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 October 06 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth, i can remember my granda calling it little Dublin, and he also said there were a lot of Irish people living there my gr.granda Doran was irish and he lived in Denniston for a while before his death. Flo

Offline moira w

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 October 06 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Flora
I was brought up in dumbarton but left 50 years ago.
According to my research my mother lived at 4 Levenhaugh street when she married in 1920.Our family lived in risk street but eventually moved to Brucehill sometime after I was born in 1937.I know this does not answer any of your questions but it is good to see some of the familiar place  names.Hope you find what you are looking for

Moira
Donagh Co. Monaghan
Mooney. O'neill. Mullen
Dumbarton.Mooney Miller Ohara
Greenock.Miller. McDonald

Offline mrst

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 November 06 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Flora
Did you get a picture from the library ? The picture I have has a little info on the bottom. if you would like me to email it to you let me know
Mrst