Author Topic: 1821 Census  (Read 4770 times)

Offline AmandaP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1821 Census
« on: Wednesday 25 October 06 07:45 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Is there some way I can access the 1821 census, is it available anywhere on line etc?

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: 1821 Census
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 October 06 10:12 BST (UK) »
No full county 1801-1831 census have survived .... there are records from selected parishes going much further back however ...

The data was typically Household Head surname and then just a headcount, altho some included occupations ..

Let me know parishes / areas you are interested in and I'll see what is recorded as available for them ... most of the data is lodged in Records Offices in Gloucester & Bristol ...

Kind regards
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AmandaP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 October 06 12:03 BST (UK) »
Possibly Kings Stanley, or the towns within a reasonable radius around it.  I'm looking for John Gabb supposedly born in 1807 but possibly earlier.  He was married in Kings Stanley in 1826.  He and his wife had their children baptised as baptists which I only found out earlier today thanks to AngelaR.  I'm trying to find out if John was a baptist too as there isn't a decent match for him on IGI.  His immigration records also suggest that he was born in 1807.  His father's name was William but his mother is listed as unknown on his death certificate.  I live in Australia so unfortunately I can't go to the records office.  If theres a 14 year old John on the Census and the head of household is William then it'll be fairly certain that its him, I was hoping I'd find a definite mother on that census, pity the records haven't survived properly then.  John was a sawyer/carpenter.

Thank you for your offer, I appreciate your offer to see what is recorded, it would be great if you could.  Thanks.  :)

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 October 06 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hmmmm ... Kings Stanley came under Stroud post 1837 .... there are no records mentioned specifically for KS, altho one parish of Stroud has an 1821 census surviving   .. this is held in the Glos Records Office - Refn is P320a/VE 1/1-3.

Must reiterate that the 1841 is the 1st useful census as previously you only got Heads surname and a headcount    ... occasionally age detail and occupations ... so you most likely would not see John as an individual anyway in an 1821 census ...

You can progress this directly with the Glos RO via email I would think - I'll see if I can find some details online for contacting them ...

TRy this site:-

http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=1348

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 October 06 13:22 BST (UK) »
PS. Theres 19 GABBs in the Stonehouse / Stroud area in the 1841 census ... when did your chap emigrate ?

Offline AmandaP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 October 06 13:55 BST (UK) »
He left Gloucestershire in 1837 arriving here in January 1838.  1841 wouldn't be any good to me anyway as John already had his own family by then, I'm currently searching for his correct parents and his correct birth year, unfortunately the 1821 census was my last hope, pity it doesn't have the details I need.

Thanks for your help.