Author Topic: Great Day for Canadian Genealogy - Passenger Lists  (Read 27213 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Great Day for Canadian Genealogy - Passenger Lists
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 11 November 06 03:12 GMT (UK) »
Depends on how wide that single person's span of interpretation for lately was...
everyone's is different...within the year would be mine...but some might say otherwise...husband thinks it could mean a great deal of time...
 Well, at least you have a date to go backwards from! ;D  and since I am also looking for a James "Thomson"....one of umpteen dozens of similar age...I wish you all the luck in finding him! ;)  J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 11 November 06 03:44 GMT (UK) »
As long as he was born within a year of 1878...don't see him on the 1911 as they are all married ( including the one in Smith falls ;)...( but if his age was out,  there's 54 more ;D)   Census began June 1st
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline Wendl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Shaking the Irish Family Tree from Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 11 November 06 03:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi J.J.

Thanks for your insight....his d.o.b is a bit of a quandry....He lists his birthday as 31 Jan 1877 on his Canadian enlistment papers for WW1....however, when I search for him in Londonderry, there is an entry on the IGI...with his parents...31 Jan 1874???  Soooo, it's a bit of a guesstamat at this point...the marriage record from the Ontario Archives says he's 35 yrs in 1913....so that puts him born in 1878....ahhhh, no joy! hee hee hee

All the best
Wendy 
Barrie/Barry-Forfar
Broun/Brown-Kirriemuir, Forfar, Angus
Carr-Belfast
Close -Belfast, Antrim and Down, Mageraghall; Ontario, Canada 
Crowe- Belfast
Gardiner/Gardner-Belfast, Scotland
Hennion- USA
Hedley- Belfast
Lawlor-Belfast, Down: Ontario, Canada
McPherson-Esquising, Ontario
McKernan-Australia
Ramsay-Kirriemuir,Scotland
Thompson-Derry; Ontario-Canada
Walker- Kirriemuir,Forfar,Dundee Scotland
Wilkinson-Belfast

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 11 November 06 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Well the name Livingston isn't there for the mother...not saying it isn't his . but because he has stated on his marriage recently that he is that age, that's the age he "hopefully" will have stated on his recent voyage... :P 
( She says...weaseling in and out of this one  ;) )

*I looked at this again and I did'nt word it very well...meant to add that as he'd also stated a similar age on CEF papers these seemed to be the age he remembers....
so hopefully there aren't too many Irish James Thompsons as you have quite a range!  ;D

I haven't looked for my James Thomson , but I think I may have found him on an index...it only goes to 1910, but if you're patient the goal is to do up to 1920....
http://members.shaw.ca/nanaimo.fhs/
with hundreds of the same name & similar age, plus no others travelling with him to identify, I probably will still have trouble singling mine out.

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 13 November 06 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Kia Ora Karen M
You wee beaut! I know it was 1870 that my Faireys arrived so am ploughing my way through!!
Do you recall mentioning that I could get Land Records? To whom would I write? I have a likely person to search Baysville/McLean Records but need to tell them where to go - politely!!!
Thankyou again!
Marlene

Hi Dale,

The Muskoka Land Registry Office is located at 15 Dominion Street, Bracebridge ON P1L 2E7.  Tell your friend to go to the office, which I believe is beside the Court House, go to the counter and tell the staff that he/she wants to have a look at the Title book for Lot ??, Conc. ?? in The Township of ??.  They will help him get the book, then he just has to turn to the page to the correct lot and concession.  I'm attaching a copy of what's called "abstract of title" which is what your friend will be looking for in the book.  Good Luck and let us know how you/he makes out.

Karen

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 13 November 06 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Karen
I have a 1911 postcard with name of ship and date of arrival - it is unsigned but was always thought to be from my grandma's younger brother who we knew emigrated to Toronto before WW1. Searched the passenger list no sign of Fred but there was her older brother William George who we had no idea went to Canada :D Have since found him on 1911 census and his marriage in Cobalt in 1913.
Cheers Jan ;)

Jan,

That's a great story.  How lucky you are to have the postcard!!

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 13 November 06 20:15 GMT (UK) »

How lucky you are to have the postcard!!

Yes. It's a lovely card - the picture was taken on the voyage showing the sea and part of The Empress of Ireland during a storm. I would not have wanted to be on board :D

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 13 November 06 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm, with such interesting postcards, Jan & Karen...Maybe you two could start a postcard site ....I remember your postcards, Karen, so unique!!! What a great souvenir you have, Jan...and with information on it to boot...bonus!
  I love that stuff....J.J.

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 13 November 06 20:57 GMT (UK) »
JJ
Yes it was very helpful of him to carefully write down the name of the ship and date and place of arrival - did he guess that in nearly 100 years time his great niece would be trying to trace him :D
Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge