Author Topic: Hannah Melford in Sheffield  (Read 2792 times)

Offline Hunnyb22

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Melford in Sheffield
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 October 06 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Tati...Answering your quote "In 1871, the family are at RG10/4687 112 27 (not much help with birthplace - they are all dittoed as being born Sheffield)
Give me a shout if you need the details.

Could you please give me the details? From what you've found already, it seems that it could be the same family.

I have the marriage record of George Handley and Rose Ann Melford.
September 1862
Handley    George         Sheffield
 9c   371

Melford    Rose Ann         Sheffield
 9c   371

Have you found any record of Rose Ann Handley's (nee Melford) death? After the 1881 Census, she seem's to have disappeared. According to www.ancestry.co.uk website her husband, George Handley died around 1900. I wonder if she may have remarried or re-entered the workhouse after George's death?

Thank you so much for your help.

Kind regards
Hunnyb22

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 October 06 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi again  :)

RG10/4687 112 27
Sheffield Park
New Street
6 Nicholsons Yard

George Eandley, head, 38, Table Blade Forger
Rose, wife, 32
Elizabeth, dau, 9, scholar
Hannah, dau, 8, scholar
Mary, dau, 2

All down as being born Sheffield. Despite the odd first letter of their name, I'ml quite sure they are your family.

I think George dies earlier than you think... (and I can see a possible death June quarter 1888 age 54)

RG12/3825 93 25
Sheffield Park
30 New Street Lane
2 rooms occupied

Rose Handley, head, wid, 57, Broken Glass Gatherer, b. Ireland
Jennie, dau, 18, Bolt Screwer, b. Sheffield
Rose, dau, 15, Shop Assistant, b. do.
James, son, 13, Bolt Maker, b. do.
Sarah, dau, 11, scholar, b. do.

"My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hunnyb22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 October 06 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Tati...Thank you for all your help, it was very kind of you to go to so much trouble.

I had seen a record of George's death but wasn't sure it was the same one, thank you for clearing that up.

However, in the 1891 Census, it has Rose Ann's family with an added daughter Jennie, I don't have her in my records, only Jane born that date, it's probably that they've mis-spelt it.

How will I find when Rose Ann died? I've searched numerous records but there's nothing about her death. I was thinking of going to Sheffield and visiting the Family History Centre, it would be great to go back even further.

Thank you once again.

Kind regards
Hunnyb22

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 October 06 09:11 BST (UK) »
I'm not going very far with Rose  :-\

The 1901 census has a very tempting Rose Handeller, wid, 66, b. Ireland at Sheffield Park.

However she's in the household of Joseph Booth, age 53, Steel Melter, b. Sheffield and his wife Alice age 50 born Sheffield, as sister in law. Try as I might, I'm not able to find a connection between your Rose and this couple.

On the other hand, I can't see any death for Rose Handley, nor can I see this Rose Handeller on earlier census.   

I'm afraid of no ghost

Offline Hunnyb22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 October 06 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Tati...Thanks for your help in this.

I don't think Rose Handeller is the one I'm looking for, for one thing, the DOB doesn't tally, Rose Ann was born 1838, so she would have been 63 in 1901 but as this Rose Handeller was 66 in 1901 she would have been born 1835.

However, there could be a connection with this Joseph Booth you've found, Alice could be Rose Ann's sister (as the full Melford family aren't known). What surname have they for Rose Ann? Because if she had married Joseph Booth's brother, then her new name would also be Booth wouldn't it? If it's Handley, then the wife Alice is Rose Ann's sister.She may have only used her first name of Rose and left the Ann out, so that's something to watch out for.

As George Handley died in 1888, Rose Ann would have been 50 years old and still had young children to look after (at least four) so there's every likelyhood that she would have remarried. More likely as there are no death records for her under the name Handley.

This is a breakthrough and leaves me with the unenviable task of looking for her marriage records to whoever she married after George's death. All the more reason to go to Sheffield and look through the family history records at the town hall there.

Thank you once again for your help

Kind regards
Hunnyb22

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 October 06 16:13 BST (UK) »
The only marriage for a Rose Handley I could see in Sheffield between 1891 and 1901 is
Sep 1895, Rose Handley to James Knott (or Herbert Gillott, but Herbert is to be found married to a Martha on the 1901 census)

Checking all Ros* (any surname) born Ireland 1838 +/- 5 in Yorkshire, none is a Rose Knott.
An age difference of 3 years on a census return is absolutely common - I'm not saying this Rose is her, but I certainly wouldn't discount her because of the age. (Note also she's aged 57 in 1891, and yet there isn't any doubt this is her).

I'm not sure she could have had a sister Alice born ca. 1851 in Sheffield. There isn't one with the family in 1861, nor could I see a birth or a marriage for an Alice M(i/e)lford...

I'm afraid of no ghost

Offline Hunnyb22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 October 06 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Tati...Thanks for your help.

The marriage between Rose Handley and James Knott in 1895 was actually my gran and grandad. Just after their marriage they moved to Hull where they went on to have 13 children, unfortunately, only five survived, four boys and one girl (my mum).

You're right as far as Alice is concerned, I don't have an Alice Melford in my records of the family either.

I've looked on the ancestry website for Rose Handeller but there's none on there, I kept getting Handley but for different first names. Nor are there any marriages for Rose Handley in Sheffield other the one mentioned above.

I can't help wondering if Rose Ann ended up in the workhouse after the 1901 Census was taken or whether she moved to Hull with her daughter Rose? She would only have been 57 in 1895, so it is possible, however, no records of her show up there either.

You've been a great help, thank you very much.

Kind regards
Hunnyb22

Offline Hunnyb22

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 29 October 06 01:39 GMT (UK) »
I'm not going very far with Rose  :-\

The 1901 census has a very tempting Rose Handeller, wid, 66, b. Ireland at Sheffield Park.

However she's in the household of Joseph Booth, age 53, Steel Melter, b. Sheffield and his wife Alice age 50 born Sheffield, as sister in law. Try as I might, I'm not able to find a connection between your Rose and this couple.

On the other hand, I can't see any death for Rose Handley, nor can I see this Rose Handeller on earlier census.   

Hi Tanja
Yes, I think the Rose Handeller you found is most likely Rose Ann Handley, the details are too much of a coincidence for it not to be. By this time, all her family would have flown the nest. I had thought she might have remarried but apparently not. So, why can't I find her death record? 

According to the Irish 1901 Census her brother John went back to Ireland, maybe she went to live with them at a later date, or at least went back to Ireland?

1901 Census Co. Mayo, Ireland
Ballintleva   Kilmaclasser   Burrishoole   Mayo   Household   Milford/Melford   John(60)   farmer   Ellen(50) wife-Mary(20) dtr./not married

Kind regards
Hunnyb22

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 29 October 06 04:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hunnyb22  :)

I haven't got a clue about Irish resources, but have you trawled the complete England & Wales death index, quarter by quarter and year by year by year?
http://content.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=List&dbid=8966&offerid=0%3a7858%3a0

I'm afraid of no ghost