Author Topic: YOUNG, Emery. Invernesshire  (Read 24637 times)

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: YOUNG, Emery. Invernesshire
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 11 November 06 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Hielan mary ?

With a name like that you'll just have to come down and stand on a promontary in Dunoon gazing out over the sea.

Its funny though. the further they went from Scotland the more romantic the names poor children were given.

There must be a lot of pathos in the Scottish make-up.

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline Blue_angel2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Looking here & there, trying to find em everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 11 November 06 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the giggles guys,
I think my greatgrandaunt Wealthey was named in the hope that she would be perhaps?? hee hee. I also have a great aunt with the name, and they wanted my grandparents to name my mum after her, so i am VERY grateful they didn't!!!

As i said before, i thought with a name like Emery he'd be easy to trace!!! How wrong can you be?? I agree, McTavish or Campbell sound like good Scottish names - perhaps I'll just give him one instead!!!  ;D

I will keep hunting as much as I can,  pity I cant find other cousins from his other children who just may have more information!!! (Haven't had any luck finding them yet either, and a far as i know they are out here too!!)  Needles in Haystacks  :(

Any idea where i can look for the Scottish pasenger lists? Did the Ships come out via England, or direct from Scotland?

Hope you are all keeping well, and thanks again,
cheers for now,
Barb    :)
researching:YOUNGS/YOUNG 1800's>Canada>USA>Aus:
CASTLE, Wickhambreaux area Kent>Aus:
CORKE/CORK, Kent, ENG >  AUST
SUTER, Birmingham, Warwickshire>Aus
TAYLOR, STOREY, DAVIES, BROWN, HOLROYD, POTTS, Manchester, Eng
KAY, Manchester
SHEA Co Cork Ireland >O'SHEA NSW AUST:
DONNELLY, co Tyrone Ireland>Oz:
HURRELL, Barnstaple, DEV > NSW AUST:
COFFEY, IRE; London>NSW, AUST
MOYES, unknown >AUST
MILLARD, BLAKE, BASCOMB: ENG
MILLER, SCT>Oz
HOOD Belfast, IRE >SCT>AUST
NEILSON, Lanarkshire, SCT> AUST

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 11 November 06 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barb

Glad you're not too upset by our findings, or lack of them.

Scottish ships would have mainly sailed from the Clyde but I would think that there was a fair chance that he might have left through any of the English ports so that again is wide open. I think you need to narrow down his emigration as tightly as possible and then try finding all the ships that sailed during that period.

Sorry

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Blue_angel2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 13 November 06 04:06 GMT (UK) »
A big thank you Gadget, Russell and Monica for all your help: even discounting potential leads, and teaching me more history and naming, districts, shipping etc is helpful to me, and much appreciated. You are all gems!!  :-*

I have already searched every passenger list i could find from the period, so will see if i can get hold of his hospital records (he died in hospital), and hope that just perhaps, that may provide one or two more clues to chase up. If that doesn't do the trick, I'm going to forget about him for a while as need to stop bashing my head against this particular brick wall. It would be nice to find an ancestor who is easier to chase up for a change.  ;D

Once again, thank you all so very much, and don't forget, if i can help you with Aussie stuff, please let me know.

cheers for now,
Barb
KAY, Manchester
MOYES, unknown >AUST
MILLER, SCT>Oz

Offline Ozebeaver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 24 February 08 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I came across your entry for Emery YOUNG and was taken by the names Charles YOUNG and Vere CAMERON.

Have you managed to confirm if this is your family?

I believe your Emery may be born to this couple and perhaps a brother to Colin who I am researching.
When Colin got married his mother's name was cited as Emily and if you say Evere/Vere quickly you can sound like Emery.  Add a thick Scottish accent and it is possible.
What gave me the clue was Colin named his eldest daughter Evere Hannah Young.

Would love to exchange notes.

Liz Dolan
Manly Qld Aus

Offline Ozebeaver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 24 February 08 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Found a reference to a E. Young leaving Melbourne for Adelaide in June 1854 on board the Yarmouth
aged 19yrs.  Considering Emery was 21 when he married in 1856 then this could be him.
Film month June page 2.

Another entry for E Young on board the Havilah II in May 1854 but he is aged 24yrs.
Film month May page 2.

My Colin left Melbourne for Sydney in June 1852.
Could not find Emery on board the Blonde in 1848 which is what I believe Colin arrived.

Liz Dolan

Offline Blue_angel2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 24 February 08 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz,

Thank you very much for that. perhaps it was him on the Yarmouth. Will have to follow that up.

I have found out a lot more information on this elusive ancestor since my last post (though still not when and how he arrived, so greatly appreciate this lead).

Though his death cert said Inverness Scotland, he was actually born in Lanark, Ontario, Canada, to Isaac Youngs and Charlotte ........ This couple had 2 children.   

Then Isaac remarried Betsy (Elizabeth) and went to New York, and they had lots of other children. Emery reputedly headed to Australia and jumped ship, probably to get away from such a big family  ;D and to increase his prospects.

His father Isaac was also born in New York, but do not know where his family came from - the theory is THEY were the ones who perhaps came from Inverness. That would have been in the late 1700's.

Haven't been able to get any further back yet, to find out who Isaac's parents were or where they were from. (presumably in Scotland)

I am sorry that it doesn't appear (as yet) that your Colin and my Emery are connected. So hard trying to track such common names. ??? Perhaps yours went to Canada too. There were many Scots who emigrated to Canada and US back then, so it could be quite feasible. Where were yours from?

Thanks again,
Cheers for now,
Barb

KAY, Manchester
MOYES, unknown >AUST
MILLER, SCT>Oz

Offline Ozebeaver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 25 February 08 05:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barb,

Can you tell me where you found him in Canada or what led you there.  I did see his death in SA under Youngs.  Seems like you have found out quite a bit about his parents and family - just wondering if someone had made contact with you.

Liz

Offline Blue_angel2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 25 February 08 06:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz,
long story but in essence i went to enter some more info on the Australasian BMD exchange after I got Emery and his wife's certificates, and Lo and behold, someone else was looking for him too!  :D We have been communicating ever since, and trying to put the jigsaw together. She had a lot of information from another cousin, who had also sent copies of letters between Australia and America following Emery's death, which confirmed the Canada US link. So we are all in touch now, and she has regular contact with Youngs cousins in America.

Until then, both of us had found a lot of references to Emery Youngs in US, (The name carries through in the children too) genealogy sources, but discounted them as not being ours because we were still looking in Scotland.  :(

My cousin on the other side of the family and i are working together on that one (my dad's side), and she is going to try to get some information for me about the place in Canada where Emery was born, in 1832. Would it be of any help if you sent me some of the details about who you are looking for and i ask if she can find anything out for you too???

I think a lot of Scots went to Ontario, Quebec and Nova Scotia, but am not 100% sure about that.

cheers for now,
Barb
KAY, Manchester