Author Topic: SIT: Sad and disappointed........  (Read 25369 times)

Offline TracyL

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SIT: Sad and disappointed........
« on: Thursday 26 October 06 23:24 BST (UK) »
A bit of a moan......

If people have added their surname interests why do they choose to ignore contact from someone responding to that??

I contacted six people recently as they all had a surname interest of Aston in the same area that I am researching.  Sadly, despite being able to see that every one of these people had logged on within a few hours of me sending a pm to them , only one person responded to me. 

This was a couple of months ago now.  I cannot understand why, if people are registering their interest in a name in an area, why they would ignore a genuine response to that.

Very disappointed that this happens on Rootschat (having read many criticisms of other sites doing this) - a simple response that the query does not coincide with their interests would be sufficient, but to ignore the contact entirely is rude.

So .... thank you to the person that kindly responded to my email.  To the others - why have a surname interested listed if you are not interested helping or responding to others when they contact you?

Tracy  :(
Judd - Warwickshire
DESLONGRAIS  - MAURITIUS/WALES/WARWICKSHIRE
Durand-Deslongrais - Mauritius/France
Neboden - Mauritius/France
Marks - Staffs/Warwicks
Menday, Lynch, French, Wright - Bermondsey/Southwark
Pett, Lowe, Kelly, Woolf, Baker, Winn, Wilkinson - North London
Tiplady - Bedfordshire

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sad and disappointed........
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 October 06 08:23 BST (UK) »
Tracy

I was very sad to read your moan, I like thought Rootschat was different and am disappointed too to hear that.  I totally agree that if we put our surnames onto the SIT we should respond to requests. 

I always respond even if it is a no sorry we do not have a matching person or whatever. 

Be assured if you ever have a name the same as me you will be treated with courtesy!!!!!

Kerry :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline TracyL

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 October 06 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry

Thank you for that :)

Feel better now I have got that off my chest!

Tracy :)
Judd - Warwickshire
Marks - Staffs/Warwicks
Tiplady - Bedfordshire

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 October 06 09:47 BST (UK) »
I find it often helps!!!!! ::) ::) ::)

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 October 06 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Tracy

I've always had a response from people that I've contacted.

It might be that they are away or haven't been on Roots for a while or their PM's don't work  . Don't give up  :)

Just noticed that they have been on roots - I'd send another PM, I think a few people are having problems - e.g. see Su's thread.

Gadget

Added - a bit early in the day for me  :( - Why don't you put up a thread on the relevant area board about your ASTON ancestors. You might get some response. I'm not defending any possible rudeness but there could be lots of reasons that they didn't respond.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 October 06 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Tracy,

Not like Rootschatters not to respond to messages - I would love to find someone with my interests!!

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 October 06 11:41 BST (UK) »
Tracy,
As said before, it could just be that they've not received a notification of any message, happened to me today ( I had a message that I hadn't received any notification for I just thought I'd have a quick peep)! sorry it's happened to you though, it is so disappointing.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TracyL

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 October 06 11:51 BST (UK) »
When I only received one response, I did check profiles and saw that everyone had logged on within a few hours of me sending messages, which suggested to me that they had received notifcation.

But maybe not........ it's nicer to think that they didn't receive it  than to think that people can't be bothered if it's not of interest to them :)

Tracy :)
Judd - Warwickshire
Marks - Staffs/Warwicks
Tiplady - Bedfordshire

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 October 06 11:56 BST (UK) »
Tracy,
it's nicer to think that they didn't receive it  than to think that people can't be bothered if it's not of interest to them

I agree, but it is possible they didn't receive the notification, I didn't and I had logged on several times before today ? technology moves in peculiar ways...  ::)
Lets hope they respond at some time,
Newbie  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk