Author Topic: SIT: Sad and disappointed........  (Read 25368 times)

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
Re: Sad and disappointed........
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 21:24 GMT (UK) »
It's sad when people don't consistently acknowledge other's efforts.  Having said that, I expect I have done it once or twice because I was distracted.  If so, please forgive me  :-[

On personal messages, I do sometimes wonder if everyone understands how the system works, but that surely wouldn't account for the very low proportion of responses you've received, Ambers.

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline ambers

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julian,

Thank you for your message.

I just wonder if infact it is possible for someone to send me a message via Surname Interest Table...as there is not a place for anyone to click..Send this person a PM
I can see it other people's though when going through the Surname Interests Table.......

Maybe I don't understand how it works either

Ambers
GLAMORGAN: Evans. Davies. Eddy. Bradnum.
GLAM to USA:Walter H Davies 1886.Thomas J 1852
PEMBROKE: Bradnum.Summers
CARMARTHENSHIRE:Davies. Jones
NORFOLK/SUFFOLK: Bradnum.Cork.Helsdon 3 in Australia, Whiskins. Fairhead.Catchpole.
DEVON:Mallett. Acford, Kidston.Short.Lover.Edwards,Telford.Sparrow
SOMERSET: Masey
CORNWALL:Eddy.Thomas Maddern.Harvey. Noy.Reynolds,Batten,Curtis.
Cornwall to USA: Thomas, Semmens. Oats
Warwickshire: Mountney

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 22:01 GMT (UK) »
I'll have a go ambers  :)

i sent you and ordinary PM just to check - did you get that?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Gadget sorry I've already done it!  ;D

What you do is identify the people against your surname interests, click their name/handle and that will take you to their profile, from which you send a PM.  You can't send yourself a PM though.

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline Stumped!

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Nobody minds, do they?
Ive sent one as well.
Just checking all my posts to see who I haven't thanked.
Peter

Clicked on Bradnum

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 22:08 GMT (UK) »
OK - Julian - I've been searching for ambers surnames in the SIT using some of the surnames on her list at the bottom of her profile - I used Evans, Stasey and Telford and she didn't come up on the listing at all  ??? ??? ???

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline TracyL

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Chaps

Well, I started all this and I have to say that of the five pm's I sent only one kind person did respond even though she could not help me.  I am fairly certain all the others received the messages as they all logged on within hours of me posting and presumably receiving notification.

To date, none of the others have responded - I believe it was a case of 'not of interest to me therefore, why bother'.  Which is why it was headed ' sad and disappointed'. All my other communication on rootschat has been so helpful and friendly, even when people can't help directly!

But there is the difference, some people are on here to help where they can, some are unfortunately here to take but not to give.  Ce la Vie - the good ones compensate totally for the selfish!

I am fairly new at all this, but if I ever received a request I would absolutely respond even if the answer was negative, as I know from experience how vital it can be to even discount a possible lead.  Maybe some people are just not too serious about what they are doing.  I was very nervous about posting a 'complaint' as a newbie, but it is justified on the basis of common courtesy!

Thanks to everyone who has volunteered their experiences - at least it wasn't just me :-\

Tracy
Judd - Warwickshire
DESLONGRAIS  - MAURITIUS/WALES/WARWICKSHIRE
Durand-Deslongrais - Mauritius/France
Neboden - Mauritius/France
Marks - Staffs/Warwicks
Menday, Lynch, French, Wright - Bermondsey/Southwark
Pett, Lowe, Kelly, Woolf, Baker, Winn, Wilkinson - North London
Tiplady - Bedfordshire

Offline ambers

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all that PM'd me from the Surname Interest Table.

Lol, thinking about you can't PM yourself ;D ;D ;D but at least I know the Link is there now......

Sad as it is, some people are just ignoring request for contact about a rellie in common....why put their names on the list in the first place  ???

Thank you for posting this Thread TraceyL, at least we know we are not the only ones. As you said, most people  are so helpful and kind on RC, and without each other we would get now where.

Best wishes Ambers
GLAMORGAN: Evans. Davies. Eddy. Bradnum.
GLAM to USA:Walter H Davies 1886.Thomas J 1852
PEMBROKE: Bradnum.Summers
CARMARTHENSHIRE:Davies. Jones
NORFOLK/SUFFOLK: Bradnum.Cork.Helsdon 3 in Australia, Whiskins. Fairhead.Catchpole.
DEVON:Mallett. Acford, Kidston.Short.Lover.Edwards,Telford.Sparrow
SOMERSET: Masey
CORNWALL:Eddy.Thomas Maddern.Harvey. Noy.Reynolds,Batten,Curtis.
Cornwall to USA: Thomas, Semmens. Oats
Warwickshire: Mountney

Offline cornishpasty

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 14 March 07 00:12 GMT (UK) »
I absolutely agree with you Ambers and others on this Board.  Common courtesy is something that a lot of people lack.  Nonetheless, most of us Rootschatters do help each other all the time and there's nothing nicer than replying to someone to thank you for their time and efforts.  I usually want to reach out and hug them. LOL. ;D

I know that I, too, spend hours trying to find information for others (and I don't really know what I'm doing) hahahahaha, BUT ..... I try - we ALL do and when there is no thank you, it's "very sad and disappointing", I agree.  I have had that problem with the SIT messages, so I just gave up.

Overall, I have to say, this is the greatest place to be when researching.  It's friendly and everyone is extremely helpful (most anyway) and I love ya'all.

Just in case I have not responded to anyone - I want to say "sorry" :-*. hehehehehehehe.

Hugs to you all
CP ;D

BAKER - Cornwall
BARRABLE - UK and South Africa
BROPHY - Kilkenny in Ireland,  South Africa
CORIN,  MARTIN, NICHOLAS, WILLIAMS  - Cornwall,  South Africa
EDWARDS - Wales,  South Africa
JAMES - Cornwall, London
KENT - UK, Ireland and South Africa
KLISKEY - Cornwall, South Africa, NZ, USA, Australia
KOWLESKEY or KOULESKEY - Russia (Kalingrad)
PERRY - Cornwall and Australia
UREN - Worldwide (One Name Study)