Author Topic: Earnshaw's jewellers Brighouse  (Read 1036 times)

Offline IOW Maiden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Earnshaw's jewellers Brighouse
« on: Friday 27 October 06 14:02 BST (UK) »
Does anybody know if there are any photos or images in books available of the above at 63 Briggate Brighouse, my mother recalls it being where the toilets now are near the canal. It was there in 1881 and still must of been there in the 1940's /50's

Little did she know then that they were related.

IOW Maiden
All Lock/e's Isle of Wight
Hobbs, Brown, Jacobs and Payne,Isle of Wight
Haynes,Sharp,Moisey,Wood,Blackburn and Earnshaw in West Yorkshire
Denham and Claughton Leeds
Hanmer in Ruabon and Llansilin Wales,St Martins Shropshire,Durham,South and West Yorkshire.
Cox and Holmes Birmingham

Offline CuriousDiana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Earnshaw's jewellers Brighouse
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 October 06 14:34 BST (UK) »
You could try www.leeds.gov.uk and follow links "do it online', then "I'm searching for...", then "photographs of Leeds", then "Leodis photographic archive".  Enter "Briggate" and you will get 666 various pictures of Briggate! With a bit of luck the shop you want could be among them! Even try entering the name or street number of the shop. Good luck
Diana 

Offline DollyH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 October 06 15:10 BST (UK) »
Am I being naive or stupid here or what?  But if you're searching a Leeds website for Briggate, wouldn't that turn up references to Briggate in Leeds, rather than Briggate in Brighouse?

You don't say where you are, but if you are indeed in the IOW, then it's not much help to say that Brighouse library has a number of books with photos of Old Brighouse, and some of them have photos of Briggate and the shops [and a ball-room or something] which were there.  There is a supermarket [and the toilets you mention] on the site now [or there was when I was up there a few weeks ago].

Dolly

Offline IOW Maiden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 October 06 00:26 BST (UK) »
Thankyou to both of you,yes it was Briggate in BRIGHOUSE I was looking for but an easy mistake to make.

I do live in Yorkshire but not at Brighouse but I do have rellies over there so they may do a trip to Brighouse Library, or wait till my mothers up from the IOW.
All Lock/e's Isle of Wight
Hobbs, Brown, Jacobs and Payne,Isle of Wight
Haynes,Sharp,Moisey,Wood,Blackburn and Earnshaw in West Yorkshire
Denham and Claughton Leeds
Hanmer in Ruabon and Llansilin Wales,St Martins Shropshire,Durham,South and West Yorkshire.
Cox and Holmes Birmingham