Author Topic: Thomas Cartwright, killed by a train, Nantwich Station, 1875  (Read 5393 times)

Offline nsc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Thomas Cartwright, killed by a train, Nantwich Station, 1875
« on: Thursday 11 November 04 14:10 GMT (UK) »
What a wonderful web facility this is !

Two further investigations:

a)   My great great grandfather, Thomas Cartwright, of Nantwich, was killed by a passenger train at Nantwich Station on 12/10/1875, aged 46.

Where can I find out more about this – it must be recorded somewhere? What would the train have looked like? Was he the first fatality on the railway line in Nantwich? What happened to his wife, Elizabeth, after he died, because she seems to disappear from the census returns for Hospital Street.

b)   My great grandmother died in Nantwich Union Workhouse of ‘Alcoholic Paraplegia’ on 6/10/1893, aged 43.

This was only 3 years after my grandfather was born, and 7 months after her youngest son. As they lived at 2 Dog Lane, why would she have been in the Workhouse? Does  ‘Alcoholic Paraplegia’ mean that she drunk herself to death? Could this, perhaps, be a case of post-natal depression?

I would be most grateful if anyone could help.

Thankyou

Neil Cartwright

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Cartwright, killed by a train, Nantwich Station, 1875
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 November 04 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Had a look through for Elizabeth remarrying and found this.

Cartwright, Elizabeth 1876 December Nantwich Cheshire  vol. 8a  page524
Sutton, Charles 1876 December Nantwich Cheshire  vol.  8a  page 524

Then this on the 1881 census, note address

~~~~~~~~
  Household:

Name  Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
 Charles SUTTON   Head   M   Male   53   Nantwich, Cheshire, England   Leather Cutter Currier     
 Elizabeth SUTTON   Wife   M   Female   47   Nantwich, Cheshire, England   Tailoress     

~~~~~~~~
Source Information:
  Dwelling   53 Hospital St
  Census Place Nantwich, Cheshire, England
  Family History Library Film   1341849
  Public Records Office Reference   RG11
  Piece / Folio   3548 / 46
  Page Number   40

In 1891 she is living next door to William Cartwright at 3 Dog Lane.

Hope this helps.

Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 November 04 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil

With regards to the Nantwich workhouse this link will give you a good history, it shows that it was a hospital as well as a workhouse, the meaning of paraplegia is a paralasis of the lower limbs, generally caused by a spinal injury,where alcohol comes in I can not even guess
 http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/Nantwich/Nantwich.shtml

As for the railway accident,I would suggest you send an email to the Nantwich library
http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/library/nantwich.htm
It is possible a post mortom would have been carried out and a report carried by a newspaper of the day, the library would advise on how to reseach this possibility.

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline nsc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 November 04 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Dear Nicky and Peter,

Thankyou very much for your help - it really is invaluable, particularly the information on Elizabeth, it sort of ties the two issues together.

I was talking to my father on the phone last night, and he wasn't aware that his father had probably never known his mother (Sarah) and we were speculating on who might have helped William with the childcare. Now it seems that Elizabeth, William's mother, moving in next door, took on this role. I'll look forward to telling him this tomorrow.

Thankyou again,

Neil

Offline nsc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 November 04 05:17 GMT (UK) »
Nicky

Just a thought ...

Was anybody else living in Elizabeth's household at 3 Dog Lane?

Thanks

Neil

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 November 04 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil

No Elizabeth was living alone at 3 Dog Lane.

Details are these

address 3 Dog Lane

Elizabeth Sutton, head, widow, age 59,tailoress born Chesire

Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean