Author Topic: McNamee of Killoe  (Read 4025 times)

Offline maddymoss

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
McNamee of Killoe
« on: Friday 27 October 06 19:39 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for anyone researching the McNamee family from Killoe.  Francis McNamee, son of James McNamee and Bridget Hughes, married Bridget Flynn in Killoe in 1836.  Francis and Bridget had numerous children.  Francis also had a half brother, Bernard McNamee. 

Jim

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: McNamee of Killoe
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jim,

You'll have to rely on Church records as civil registration in Ireland was not introduced until 1864. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist. 

Christopher

Offline Davem2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 March 08 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jim

I believe I may be descended from a Killoe McNamee. My great grandfather Michael (born 1854 or 1855) emigrated to Liverpool and settled in Wallasey. I have a copy of his marriage certificate which states that his father, Peter, was a farmer. One of Michael's daughters told me back in the 1980s (when she was aged 99!) that her father came from 'a small farm in Co. Longford'. Another source who contacted me via a genealogy website, advised that my branch of the McNamee line were from Corglass in Co. Longford. On checking Griffiths Valuation I find that the only Peter McNamee in Co. Longford did indeed reside at Corglass. There are indications from other McNamees listed as residing in Corglass in Griffiths that this might be a correct link to my family, ie a John and a Laurence are listed and these were also names of two of the sons of Michael, perhaps naming them after family members back in Ireland? (accept this latter assumption might be a bit tenuous).

Hope the above is of interest!

Offline Davem2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 March 08 13:02 GMT (UK) »
sorry, should have also made the point that, according to Griffiths, Corglass is a townland the Parish of Killoe

Offline maddymoss

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 March 08 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My McNamee line have been traced back to the parish of Drumlish in Killoe.  Numerous children of Francis McNamee and Bridget Flynn (married 1835) were baptised in St. Margaret's Church, parish of Drumlish.  Francis's parents were James McNamee and Bridget Hughes.  Francis had at least one brother called John and a half brother, Bernard, born to James McNamee and Ann Campbell, his second  wife.    Francis, John and Bernard all moved to Scotland in the 1840's. 

I'm afraid I haven't found any more about this family or their connections.

Jim