Author Topic: Would anyone know of the Dornan's / Cowans (Ballymena)  (Read 2206 times)

Offline mark99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Would anyone know of the Dornan's / Cowans (Ballymena)
« on: Saturday 28 October 06 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hello

I know I might be asking alot as these lines are now extinct due to marriage (I think).  I have been asked by my mother to look at her side.  Her ggf was James (O')Dornan from Ballymena m. to Ellen Bell who had 5 children, Robert, Sarah, James, Lizzie & Ellen (who married twice, first to ? Hunter then to Wm, Henry, then she disappeared cannot find).  My mothers other ggf was William Cowan who m. Elizabeth (Lizzie Weir) in Buckna Pres Church -  child: Jane, William, Samuel, Margaret.

Can anyone open another avenue of research.

Thanks.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Would anyone know of the Dornan's / Cowans (Ballymena)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 October 06 22:48 GMT (UK) »
There were certainly Cowan's and Weir's in Buckna's communicants list from mid 1800's. Do you have rough dates? If yes, please post same and I will check the visitation lists if timescale fits.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 October 06 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Just realised your 'signature' carries the date of William and Elizabeth's marriage, do you have their fathers' names from the marriage certificate and their townland, as the visitations lists are from late 1850's and early 1860's?

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline mark99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 October 06 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

According to the info. from the UHF - William's father was Samuel Cowan & Elizabeth's father was John Weir.  The 2 witnesses were "Robert Weir & Sarah Jane Bell".

Thanks for the post & I really appreciate it.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 October 06 11:46 GMT (UK) »
An 1862 communicants list has a John Weir and Sarah Weir noted from Drumack, albeit the visitation list for 1860 has no children noted against John and his wife. Cowans also appear in the list, but there is no Samuel, albeit William does feature (although too early to be your chap).  Did the UHF not give you which townland/s the couple were from? I have viewed a number of marriages at Buckna church in the past and this information has always been recorded. The townland details would be helpful if you have them.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 October 06 11:55 GMT (UK) »
In the early part of 1880's, a William Cowan of Ballinacaird is recorded as a Teacher, whilst a William Cowan of Racavan is noted as a Farmer.

Offline mark99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 October 06 16:26 GMT (UK) »
I have reviewed the Marriage details which I got from the UHF & they are as follows:  Husband - William Cowan, age - FA, Denom - PR, Townland - Loughconnelly, Occupation - Labourer, Father - Samuel Cowan - Labourer (Witness - Robert Weir).  Wife - Elizabeth Weir, age - FA, Denom - PR, Townland - Brecaugh?, No occupation stated.  Father - John Weir - Labourer (Witness - Sarah Jane Bell)

Offline emmcveigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 September 23 05:40 BST (UK) »
I realise this was posted a long time ago but I am the great grand-daughter of Ellen Bell Hunter (who disappeared). She came to NZ in 1924 and married William Capes. I've been looking for more information on her for years as we have nothing. It appears she came to NZ pregnant (with my granddad) and unwed.