Poll

When you leave your mortal body do you want to be:

Buried
25 (28.7%)
Cremated
62 (71.3%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: BURIED OR CREMATED ?  (Read 20577 times)

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: BURIED OR CREMATED ?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 31 July 04 21:12 BST (UK) »
Another thing,about 2 years ago i watched a programme on telly{then wished i hadnt}about old burial sites being moved to new locations because the land was needed for new buildings.When they were taking the lids off the coffins,on the underside there were scratch marks where the poor person had been buried alive,even their finger ends were worn away where they had been scratching to get out.I couldnt sleep for weeks after and i think thats what {apart from another stupid thing}made me decide thats it i am getting cremated.Its just a terrifying thought..Anne. :o
Ayrshire,Kennedy,Faulds,Cuthbert,Crawford,Young,Edgar,Bell
Dundee,Nicol,Cant,Kennedy,Jamison,
Dumfrieshire,Wilson,Maxwell,Lammie,Cowan,Young,

Offline GRACELAND

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Elvis Presley* ARTIST OF THE CENTURY..*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 01 August 04 15:01 BST (UK) »
 :'(  Anne, i think im going now on the side of cremation !
                                          :o
God Knew Elvis was Tired so he called him to rest !................
"I like it well done, Cooked. I ain't orderin' a pet."
--Elvis Presley, On Meat
"Don't be like nobody else or you'll be livin' a lie, and that ain't livin'."
--Elvis Presley, On Individuality

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 01 August 04 15:07 BST (UK) »
Me Too ;D
How awful, would've kept me awake for months!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 01 August 04 22:30 BST (UK) »
I want a Green Burial.  My Mum wants a really really really cheap funeral so a green burial appeals to her as you can have a cardboard coffin.   Mum reckons dying is way too expensive these days and there ought to be a "fast funeral joint" called "Funerals R Us" or (my suggestion) "McDead".

Yes in the old days being buried alive was not at all uncommon.  They do sometimes find graves where the poor person has even turned over on their side and pushed their fingers down their throat in a desperate bid to somehow force air down.  It's not likely to happen these days though, is it, with the sensitive equipment we have.  We're more likely to be kept "breathing" by artificial means, long after we've really "died".    Also with a green burial you aren't buried so far down, so your chances of getting out and terrifying the wits out of your loved ones are much greater.

My mother in law has a terrible fear of having a gravestone erected over her, with its weight "pressing down on her".  Her mother had the same fear.  My mother in law is going for cremation to avoid the risk of having any lumps of stone put on her.

Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 01 August 04 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi All ;D

I always did want to be cremated but your horror stories have dispelled any lingering doubt I may have had!!!
I want my ashes scattered. I have told my lot if they cement me into a wall I really will visit them again -  when they least expect it :o :o
I am going to be good phosphate for the earth - that's sort of green isn't it? ;D

Cheers
Aaron
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 02 August 04 00:09 BST (UK) »
When I go and see the grave of my loved ones, it helps me visualize them sleeping in the grave.

I think too, I'd like my final claim of land - my whole life taken up by a few cubic feet of soil.

I've been a bearer of a coffin for my uncle too, and I'll have to make sure I go on a diet before I go.  :-\

Anyhow, considering the amount of beer I drink, it would take them a week to put me out if they burnt me.
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 02 August 04 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Lots of comments,  and lookins on this thread but only 5 votes so far.  ???

I will have to be buried,  I loved graveyards as a child,  particularly reading old gravestones,  and I want to leave something for one of my descendents to stumble across in a graveyard in a couple of centuries time,  saying, 'At last I have found her......

Kazza;D
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 02 August 04 12:21 BST (UK) »
Okay I voted.  Since I have just come back from my grandad's burial, I would want the same but without the lone piper and the crying.

I am a deep sleeper though so I'll have to be careful! 

I'll have a wicker coffin and "Leaving on a jet plane" and "Take me home country road" playing on the CD.  My mum is refusing to let me play John Denver if I go first.  So I've given her an alternative of "Baby I'm burning" by Dolly Parton.  BUT NO CREMATION!

And then the biggest leaving party ever!!!

My mum gets a bit upset when I go on about it especially when I tell her she is being chucked off the back of the Mersey Ferry!

P ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 02 August 04 13:39 BST (UK) »
Giggle!
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe