Author Topic: Sweet or fruit shop Attercliffe about 1917  (Read 995 times)

Offline painterlady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Sweet or fruit shop Attercliffe about 1917
« on: Sunday 29 October 06 15:41 GMT (UK) »
My maternal grandmother kept what was probably a fruit shop in the Attercliffe area- about 1915-18 at a guess. Does anyone have access to The Sheffield Directory for that period to find out more. Mother used to talk about it but at that time I wasn't very interested and can't remember the details. Her younger brother was a baby and he was born 1915 and mother had to look after him while her mother ran the shop. The name was Gill bit she may have used her maiden name of Darwent. A bit of a long shot I know but can anyone help?

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
Re: Sweet or fruit shop Attercliffe about 1917
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 October 06 17:05 GMT (UK) »
There's nothing for 1915-1918, but you could try Historical Directories for a few years earlier - http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/b1.asp.  Aplogies if you have already been there.

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline Dalum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 October 06 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Could this be her?:
White's 1919/20 Directory of Sheffield
299 Sheffield Road [Tinsley]
Gill Mrs Lillie   fruiterer

but also in 1911 (White's again) there's:
443 Attercliffe Road
Gill Mrs Margaret   confectnr
[John Henry Windle confectnr here in 1919/20]

It would help to know her first name!

Hugh in Sheffield
Sheffield look-ups, Cemeteries etc

UK census data is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline painterlady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 November 06 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Hugh and Julian, many thanks. Grandma was Mary Jane. I did bring up the Directories but the ones they have are really too early but they do have a couple of earlier Darwent and Gill fruiterers, maybe she took one over from a relative. I don't know the address in 1901 as they were visiting on Census night. The only addresses I know were  Woodseats Rd, and Newhall St off Brightside Lane. Why does one not know that it would be worth listening to and remembering these early parental reminiscences