Author Topic: Henry WEBSTER marries Agnes LOW, 1843  (Read 7065 times)

Offline Colin 123

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry WEBSTER marries Agnes LOW, 1843
« on: Sunday 29 October 06 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Looking for descendents of Henry Webster and Agnes Low of the Edzell area.  Henry worked at Inch in 1841 and we think Agnes was the daughter of John Low and Janet Jolly of Meikle Tullo.  They had three or four children born in that area between 1845 and 1851 .  They were Jessie (1845), John (1847),  Henry, (1848), and possibly James (1851).
The family immigrated to a farm (Ballykeenan) in County Carlow, Ireland  in 1850-51 and other children were born there.  Can anyone help us or put us in touch with the proper LOW family.???
Mills of Rox,, Hook of Northumberland, Webster of Angus and Kincardine,, Low  of Angus & Kincardine

Offline BoBo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Henry WEBSTER marries Agnes LOW, 1843
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 November 06 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin

I have a John Low and Janet Jolly in my tree.  John and Janet were married on 22/7/1815 and both came from Meikle Tullo, Edzell.  I know that John's parents were James Low and Isabel Mathers.  Also John's brother married Jean Jolly in 1806 - probably Janet's sister.  Any connextion?

BoBo
UK - Dunn, Lands, Knight, Wickes, Hawkins, Rumbelow, Low & Jolly
Malta - Camilleri, Aguis Delicata, Sciberras & Navarro

Offline Colin 123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 November 06 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bobo,---------Yes , John Low and Janet Jolly had twin daughters Margaret & Agnes christened in Edzell Parish Aug 29, 1818. WE THINK Agnes married our Henry WEbster but have not been able to prove she is the same Agnes Low as there are several Agnes Lows in the Edzell area. Henry Webster was an agricultural worker at Inch in the 1841 cencus and both Margaret and Agnes were dressmakers in Fettercain at that time.  The ages fit but we cannot find a marriage in any of the surrounding Parishes.  Our Henry Webster and his wife Agnes Low and children Jessie, John, Henry and possibly James emigrated to Ireland in 1850 or 51.
Do you have anything on John Low and Janet Jolly's children.
In the 1841 cencus, there is a James Webster age 15, an agr wkr at Meikle Tullo which makes us wonder if there is a connection here as well.
Would love to hear further from you.
Colin Mills, B.C. Canada
Mills of Rox,, Hook of Northumberland, Webster of Angus and Kincardine,, Low  of Angus & Kincardine

Offline BoBo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 November 06 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin

Thanks for replying to my message.  I have obtained my info regarding the Low's from another researcher who I will contact today for you.  My information is that John Low was born on 26/7/1781 and died 21/1/1856.  He was one of 7 children that I know of and his parents were James Low b. 16/4/1742 and Isabel Mathers b 1742.  I have'nt got any further information but will let you know if I find any more.  My connexion to the family is that John Low's sister Elizabeth married a Dunn.  All came from the same area.

Great to hear from you.  Keep in contact

BoBo
UK - Dunn, Lands, Knight, Wickes, Hawkins, Rumbelow, Low & Jolly
Malta - Camilleri, Aguis Delicata, Sciberras & Navarro

Offline Colin 123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 November 07 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi BoBo,
Since we last communicated, I have been in touch with Pat Dunn who is also busy in the genes. She would be a direct relative of yours as she too descends from Elizabeth Low and George Dunn. With the rush of Christmas and our preparations getting ready to go south to Arizona in Decemebr last year, somehow your message went on the back burner and did not surface again until this morning when I checked Rootschat for the first time for months.
Pat has given me some data on Elizabeth and George descendants to about 1860 and I await more data from her.  But I hate to think all that time has been wasted when I should have been back to you months ago.  I can give you a full line on Agnes Low who married Henry Webster if you want it. I have about 1100 descendants from that line . Please get back to me.

Offline heather bell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 January 12 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi just noticed this on Rootchat. Don't know if you still check it now!!! My 4 x Great-Grandfather was James Low who married Isabel Mathers. His Father My 5 x g-Grandfather was Thomas Low born in 1695 he married Isabel (sorry no last name) They had 4 x children Ann, Margaret, David and James. Thomas Low's Father was A James Low born early 1600's (sorry no further details about him) Really chuffed we can go back 6 x Great's!
My 3 x Great- Grandfather was James and Isabel's Son David Low born 1772 -died 1852 his Gravestone is in The Old Kirk Yard at Edzell next to The Lyndsey Aisle. He married Jean Jolly born 1784 -died 1867 they lived at Meikle Tullo. Their Son James Low born 1810 married Agnes Alexander in 1839 They also lived at Meikle Tullo. Their Son Alexander born 1853 (My Great-Grandfather) lived at Meikle Tullo until he moved with his sheep to Mill of Towie near Ellon Aberdeenshire. He married and they moved to Broomfield Farm Ellon. My Grandfather James Low was their Son and He lived at Dorbshill Ellon with My Grandmother until their deaths in 1963. My Father Norman was their Youngest Son. My father's Cousin told me when he was A Young Lad his Uncle showed him The Original Rent Books for Meikle Tullo going back many generations, unfortunately they have since been lost! I discovered A George Low (1746-95) A famous Orkney Naturalist a native of Edzell being babtised there 29/3/1747 and have been trying to find out if he was one of Our Low's. Looks like he did not marry and he had 2 x sisters so end of Low Line! His father was John Low a Kirk officer and Tenant farmer in Edzell married to Isabel Coupar. John Low died when his Son George was 13 and his Mother still managed with presumably The Churches help to put him through University in Aberdeen and St. Andrews. If anybody could help with My Search it would be great as I find it so fascinating finding out what The Low's have done All Over The World.