Author Topic: 1831/1901 census  (Read 17304 times)

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1831/1901 census
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 02:59 BST (UK) »
Morrison Stewart  - many thanks for that.At least that proves his existence in the area, and the fact that he was known as David,which is what I have been trying to do for so long.They had obviously moved to Derryard (still in the parish of Bovevagh) by the time of Mary Anns mariage.(She was married in Bovevagh Church) I know about the the myriad ways of the name spelling,but it is the same family. I don't know where you got access to the 1831 census but, again, many thanks for your help. Betsy Harper

Offline betty53

• Email address not working please contact support for Help
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 22:20 BST (UK) »
Dear Betsy - I see you are a Harper.  Phillip Marshall from Ohio is looking for Harpers in this area.  His grandmother was Eliza(beth) Harper married to John Marshall from Scriggan, Dungiven.  They moved to Ballyclose street Limavady late 1800s.  There was a big write-up in the Coleraine Chronicle a few weeks ago - did you see it??

Regards

Betty McNerlin (formally Elizabeth Thompson) - my lot came from Scriggan as well.

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 01:03 BST (UK) »
Betty - I'm in Australia - so no -I didn't see The Coleraine Chronicle!(Wish I had) My late husband,Jim Harper, was born at Scriggan,in the Pelipar gatelodge (the one that has just been extended and done up,I believe)He lived at Ovill later. I would need to know a little more of this Eliza Harper(birth years etc) to know which Harper family she belonged to.If Philip Marshall has an e-mail address I'll gladly get in touch with him, and see what happens. Regards,Betsy Harper

Offline R P Marshall

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 August 07 00:19 BST (UK) »
Betsy-

The Harpers in my family tree are two sisters who married two (G-G-Great) Uncles of mine. Eliabeth Harper (b. circa 1831) married John Marshall of Limavady and Sarah Harper (b. 1829) married James Marshall, also of Limavady / Coleraine area. My Great Great Grandfather was Hugh, a brother of James and John. There was also a brother William Marshall who moved to Scotland about 1857. One of John and Elizabeth's daughters was Elizabeth, who married a Thompson, and the only other daughter, Margaret/Maggie, married a Rankin. John and Elizabeth's sons were John, Thomas, William, James, Hugh, and Joseph. All remained in Limavady but one son, William, who moved to Blantyre, Scotland. William was in Blantyre in 1910 when his father John died. The four Marshall brother's mother was Mary Ann Marshall, but I have no idea of her maiden name or her husband's name as there is no mention of him whatsoever in 4 letters from Mary Ann to son Hugh in the USA dated 1856 to 1858.

I have been in contact with descendants of James, but none of John or William. We are yet unsure if Betty McNerlin and I are related, perhaps you can help?  Thanks!  Phil Marshall

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 August 07 05:56 BST (UK) »
R.P. Marshall - On the 1831 census for Banagher area there is a James Harper with a wife,(no name)2 sons and one daughter,living at Auglish.After a lot of  comparisons and calculations I figured out that the sons were about 8 and 6 years old and the daughter about 2 -( no names of course on 1831 census) Maybe this was your Sarah 1929. Since the census was taken in 1831,maybe Elizabeth was born after it was taken. The boys were James and Joseph,which is why I was working on them. As it turns out it wasn't my Joseph,so I went no further with that line. (I have a strong feeling that they ARE connected,way back,but I haven't been able to sort it out so far) My Joseph Harper,like thousands more,went to Scotland to work the harvest,married there,and had his first 2 children there and then returned to Ireland (Co Derry) and had the rest of his family,and continued to live ,and die , there. In my notes from "pencil and paper"days I have 2 other Elizabeths  Elizabeth b 1830 daughter of Hugh Harper and ?? m'd John Mercer in 1854 - Limavady,and Elizabeth Harper b 1824 Daughter of Robert Harper and Letitia Heaney.She had a brother James b 1826.There was an Eliza in my line but she died at age 2 years.1868/70  There are no other Sarahs in my lines.Sorry I couldn't be more help.Good luck with your research. Betsy Harper.

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 August 07 10:51 BST (UK) »
On the 1831 census for Banagher area there is a James Harper with a wife,(no name)2 sons and one daughter,living at Auglish.After a lot of comparisons and calculations I figured out that the sons were about 8 and 6 years old and the daughter about 2 -( no names of course on 1831 census)

The 1831 census does NOT say James Harper, wife, 2 sons, 1 daughter- what it probably says is James Harper (head of household) with 3 males & 2 females in household. Aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, neices, nephews, etc. could be any of these males or females and you cannot assume it is a man, wife and X number of children in 1831 census.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Agnetta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 28 August 07 07:47 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey -you're right - that's precisely what it says, but with help from other bits of info on Harpers in the area,  it worked  out to be  James,his wife,2 sons and 1 daughter.I'm sorry if I mislead anyone - I certainly didn't intend to do that. B. Harper

Offline ftman007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 15 October 09 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hello.  I was wondering if someone would have access to the index of the 1831 census and could tell me if there are any Toners or Connells listed in Banagher or Dungiven.  I'd also be interested in the names Blair and Kane in either place, although I suspect there may quite a few of them.  Thank you.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 15 October 09 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Welcome to Rootschat. There are managable numbers of Toners, Connells and Blairs in the two parishes but as this area was an O'Cahan (reduced to Kane) stronghold there is a large number.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim