Author Topic: 1861 & 1871 Censii  (Read 2043 times)

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1861 & 1871 Censii
« on: Monday 30 October 06 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I need some help please!
I have 2 marriages which are causing me headaches ::)
First;
I have a marriage of Hannah BOLTON to Thomas MASON St Neots Sept 1861 3b/361. Presuming Hannah Bolton was born in Hunts circa late 1830s/early 1840s can anyone find the couple on the 1871 census please?
Secondly:
I have a marriage  of Hannah LINNELL to Thomas FAIREY March 1865 St Neots 3b/367. Free BMD has recorded Hannah's number incorrectly as 3b/369 thereby marrying her off to the wrong fellow!
Assuming again that Hannah was born circa 1830s/40s can anyone find this couple in 1871?

Alternatively either of the Hannah's in 1851 hopefully around the St Neots area?
Grateful for any help!
regards
Marlene
HUNTS: Fairy, Ding, Scotney, Swinton, Burgess, Brace
BEDS: Farey, Fairy,  Young, Rootham, Gell, Wildman, Cooper. Deighton, Flavel.
NORTHANTS: Hills, Mobbs, Twelftrees,
DERBY: Fairey,
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WATFORD HERTS; Burgess, Williams
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,
WORCS: Callow, Lowe

Offline AussieGenealogy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Great GrandMother Daisy Bachellier
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 & 1871 Censii
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 October 06 10:59 GMT (UK) »
hi Marlene

I've just looked for a  Hannah Mason and have got 17 matches with husbands named Thomas but none are in Hunts. where was Thomas born if you know?
Bachellier - Bethnal Green and France
Gaucheron - France
Saumon- France
Godran - France
Rossignol - France
Heggie - Fife Scotland
Forsyth - Glasgow Scotland
MCLennan - Glasgow Scotland
Melville - Lanarkshire?
Wright - Lincolnshire
Dalton - Licolnshire
Hutton Lanarkshire
Winch - Kent UK
Northwood - Shropshire/Montgomeryshire Wales

ITS NOT CHARLES  - ITS GEORGE CHARLES VELINDER FAWCETT!!
Currently renovating
Census information is Crown Copyright from National Archives,gov.uk

Offline AussieGenealogy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Great GrandMother Daisy Bachellier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 October 06 11:04 GMT (UK) »
me again

Also same question regarding Thomas and Hannah Fairey
Bachellier - Bethnal Green and France
Gaucheron - France
Saumon- France
Godran - France
Rossignol - France
Heggie - Fife Scotland
Forsyth - Glasgow Scotland
MCLennan - Glasgow Scotland
Melville - Lanarkshire?
Wright - Lincolnshire
Dalton - Licolnshire
Hutton Lanarkshire
Winch - Kent UK
Northwood - Shropshire/Montgomeryshire Wales

ITS NOT CHARLES  - ITS GEORGE CHARLES VELINDER FAWCETT!!
Currently renovating
Census information is Crown Copyright from National Archives,gov.uk

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 October 06 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie
Apologies for the delay in replying - takes awhile to get to New Zealand as I was  probably snoring at the time you answered!
This is my dilemma! Thomas Fairy was born on October 1840 in Great Catworth Hunts. In 1881 he can be found in Ontario Canada with 2nd wife, dau Hannah from the first family and his 2nd family.
According to the GRO & the Camdex Index he married Hannah Linnell in March 1865 BUT Hannah (daughter) marriage cert in Canada cites her mother as being Hannah Bolton!
I thought if I could find one couple together on a census it might help me!
In 1861 Thomas is a farm servant in the home of Henry Dickens Long Lane Gt Catworth if that helps.
Thanks very much for looking!
regards
Marlene
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 & 1871 Censuses
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 October 06 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marlene

I've been looking for these since yesterday and I've come up with nothing obvious.** You'd have thought that Thomas Mason and Hannah Bolton should have been around in 1861 but I can't even find them then.

St Neots registration district also covered a big chunk of Beds as well as Hunts and a Cambs parish.

I think that to solve this one you need to bite the bullet and shell out £14 to get the marriage certs - at least then you'll see if any of them were widows/widowers which might make a big difference to your assumed birth dates.

If Hannah the daughter was born in England as she states, have you found her birth details, which would at least give her mother's maiden name? Yeah, I know, another seven quid for a remote branch of the Fairy empire!

I must say though that I think Hannah Bolton/Mason is a red herring - but having said that, a Thomas Mason died Q1 1865 in St Neots reg district!

Regards

David

** P.S. Call off the dogs. There's a Thomas and Hannah Mason living in Eaton Socon Beds in 1871 and 1881. He born Roxton Beds, she Eaton Socon 1834. Eaton Socon is in St Neots reg district. Even more so now, I think she's a red herring! I suspest it was second marriage for him as on the census there were three children who predated the marriage, but there's a Thomas age 9 who matches an extracted IGI entry
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 November 06 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Kia Ora David; I do get infuriated when the messages are moved before I have a chance to answer!
I'll have to sit down quietly and assimilate all this info and tomorrow I heading to Taranaki to enjoy the Rhodo Festival with an English couple visiting Down Under with Fairy connections! Been a wee bit busy.
At the weekend I'll assimilate (if the brain will allow it!) and  decide what to do next.  I do think you're right that Hannah Bolton from Hunts/Beds might be the wrong one, but whatever, they did have 2 daughters born in Hunts viz  Sarah Ann 1865 & Hannah 1867 Fairy . If you're bored you can look at my Fairey postings on the Canada board. Both daughters (who cannot be found together on any Canadian census) gave the name Bolton for their mother! Strange!
I'll get back to you.
Regards & thanks
Marlene

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 & 1871 Censuses
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 November 06 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Bonjour

I wondered if Hannah Linnell might have been a widow when she married the Fairy, and her maiden name was Bolton? But I can't see a Bolton/Linnell marriage on FreeBMD. Seven quid will prove it one way or the other.

Bank holiday today here. Bored silly. Everything's shut. Everyone bar me goes off to cemeteries clutching pots of chrysanthemums to put on the graves of ancestors - my enormous pot is on my coffee table much to the horror of my French friends! And speaking of bars....they're probably closed too!

All the best

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd