Author Topic: O'flaherty look up please  (Read 2569 times)

Offline saf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
O'flaherty look up please
« on: Monday 30 October 06 11:11 GMT (UK) »
 ;D
Can anyone help me please, I have found an entry on the County Kerry site
BIRTH RECORDS CIVIL REGISTRATION FOR THE DISTRICT OF ANNASCALL 1864-1880 DINGLE PLU
O'flaherty Thomas George 14-05-1874
BIRTH PLACE TOWNLAND/PARISH Innisgour Minard
FATHER Thomas A O'flaherty medical doctor/Mary Dineen present at birth
MOTHER Julia Janthe Swift
The question is, how do I obtain the birth certificate.
ANOTHER DISCOVERY:-
On the same site GRIFFITHS AND LATER VALUATIONS MINARD CIVIL PARISH PUCKISLAND TOWNLAND DINGLE RURAL DISTRICT FHL 0840596
It lists Thomas A O'flaherty M.D. leased a plot of land Lough Barrenageeha in 1876
Julia Jane O'flaherty in 1877
Godwin Michael O'flaherty in 1888-1906
Could these last two be sister and brother of Thomas A O'flaherty do you think?
What do I do now with this information, help! saf

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: O'flaherty look up please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 October 06 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I would think that Thomas died, Julia Jane was the wife and took over and perhaps Godwin would be son or as you say perhaps brother?

You can obtain a birth certificate from http://www.groireland.ie/. You have to send off for it but can download the form from the site and then pay by credit card.
Family search http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true has other children for Thomas and Julia so you add these to your collection. Enter Thomas O'Flaherty and Julia in the parents box. There are a couple of Thomas and Julia's so take care that they are 'Swift'.

Where do you go? Only you know what you want - you could check to see if Thomas snr died- perhaps there was will?
good luck
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline saf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 November 06 21:37 GMT (UK) »
thank you heywood for your reply,Thomas Austin who leased the plot ,was married to Julia Janthe Swift, so Julia Jane must be his sister.
Thank you also for the web site for certificates, I have sent off for one, and used my credit card details, hoping they will convert the money into euros. as I live in England.
I have tried to find a death entry for Thomas Austin O'flaherty, using all possible dates but it  keeps coming back as "no matches," maybe I am doing something wrong. Is there a site which lists wills to search?
Entering just the parents names, as you suggested, was a brilliant idea I had not thought of, stupid me! and I found the other possible links. Well this gives me something to ponder over, with your help, Thank you again        saf

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 November 06 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
The Family Search site has Julia Jane Swift as mother to Evilline and  the entries for 'Augustine' Ronald. The 'Janthe' name occurs in the entry for Austin 'Romuald'.
I imagine that the child would be Austin as with father but who knows.
But unless you have definite reason to believe otherwise, I think that Julia Jane is Thomas' wife's name (Swift being her maiden name). That's why I wonder if Thomas died and Julia was then renting the land.
You will need access to Irish BMDs for Thomas' death. That may mean a visit to a Family History library at a local LDS church if you can. Then you may be able to apply for a will.
I am not sure where to do that although I did write somewhere once! This site http://www.from-ireland.net/gene/wills.htm#post seems to have some info.
best wishes
heywood

Offline saf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 November 06 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywood
I have just returned from a weeks holiday in tenerife, hence the delay in replying. My local family history centre is only half an hour away, so I will visit as soon as possible armed with all the information I have. I have never been there before, so I don't know the procedure, but assume it is not to complicated.
Thank you for the web site you sent, I will look into that.
I printed out a form from groireland as you suggested, and sent off for a certificate about two weeks ago using my credit card details, but have had no response yet. As soon as I do, I will let you know the outcome. Thank you for your interest. Regards saf

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 November 06 18:03 GMT (UK) »
keep in touch please - I do hope that you get good news.