Author Topic: Webb family/Stroud 1870/1910  (Read 5772 times)

Offline anitamo

• RootsChat Member
  • Life is a serious business. Isn't it?
    • View Profile
Webb family/Stroud 1870/1910
« on: Tuesday 31 October 06 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone I am new to this site. I am hoping that someone can help me trace what happened to my ggrandfathers family. I have them in all the census returns up to 1891 then all but my grandfather seem to disappear. I have come to the conclusion that the parents have died before 1901 and have several possible entries to account for that but I cannot find any entries for 6 of the seven children, only my grandfather Charles Webb is apparent and he is married with3 chilrden of his own. Head of the family is James Webb m. to Selina/Leticia/Cecelia, different spellings in all censuses. James was born in 1844 in Dursley/Wooton under Edge and they had at least 7 children, the youngest Selica would have been 12yrs old in 1901. On top of all this Charles' wife died after 1901 and he came to Sheffield with another lady ,Ellen Louisa, who later became my grandmother. However I cannot find out what happened to the three children Elsie, Walter and George. If anyone has any ideas I would be very pleased to hear from them. Thank you  :)
Orchard/Webb/Stroud Gloucestershire
Eldridge/Stroud Gloucestershire
Hattersley/Barnsley/Sheffield South Yorkshire
Wright/South Yorkshire
Carroll/Barnsley South Yorkshire

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Webb family/Stroud 1870/1910
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 November 06 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anitamo

Welcome to Rootschat!  :)

I also have WEBBs from this area, I wonder if there is any connection?

Can you post the family as you found them in 1891 please - or the reference would help.  Will have a look for you.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline anitamo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 November 06 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.  Personal Message Sent.

Wright/South Yorkshire

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 November 06 21:52 GMT (UK) »
OK I have found them in 1891.  You need to give the reference number (to make them easier to find) and all the details you have transcribed, such as birthplace and occupation.

There are quite a few WEBBs in the area, but James has a slightly unusual occupation, so that might help find them on other censuses.

1891 census Stroud RG12/2024/76/6

64 Tower Hill?, Stroud

James Webb 47  - Haulier & lime burner - Wotton under Edge, Gloucs
Leticia Webb 46 - milk seller - Horsley, Gloucs
Charles Webb 20  - lime burner - Stroud
Elvia Webb 15  - do
Elizabeth Webb 12  - do
Manie Webb 10 - do
Louisa Webb 5  -  do
William Webb 3 - do
Selica Webb 2  - - do

I have tried to match the unusual names with recorded births in Stroud, to see what matches there are.  (messed it up at the first attempt - will try again, lol!)

Will have a look for 1901 now...

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline anitamo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 November 06 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arranroots, thank you so much for taking the time to check things out for me. I have actually found the family right up to the 1891 but it is after that they seem to disappear off the face of the earth. It does not help that mum Selina/Letiticia has a different name in each census.  I realise that James and Selina/Letiticia may have died between 1891/1901 but as I said Ican't find the children apart from Charles and several of them will be very young still. I am still finding different web sites to try and I have full access to Ancestry so if there is anything you can think of that I can check out I would love to hear from you. This is my father's family and I would love to solve some of these puzzles as we never knew anything about my dad's past or his family, he never spoke about them at all. There are 3 children of Charles 1st marriage I would also like to trace. As I said all a mystery!!
Wright/South Yorkshire

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 November 06 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I knew you had them in 1891, but I posted the full details because it makes it easier for me or anyone else to have a look in 1901.

They are certainly not leaping out of the page at me!

I had come to suspect that the little daughter was Selina rather than Selica, so mum;'s name would also suggest that.  Do you have births for them & are they always in the same place on censuses (for the older ones)?

Still looking...

;)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 November 06 22:43 GMT (UK) »
I can't see too many deaths on freebmd that look helpful to your search, but there are a number of marriages for Let* WEBB - you could try pursuing these & seeing who these women married & whether they have the same birthplace as yours.  They might have some of the children with them, using the new hubby's surname.

I have to give up for the night, but let me know how you go on and if no-one has them by tomorrow I will have another go.

Are you local to Gloucestershire?  The record office might be a good place to explore in due course!

Offline anitamo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 November 06 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arranroots, the info that I have on James is not too bad.Although in 1881 he says that he is from Wotton under Edge and later states he is from Dursley I am sure that I have traced him from Dursley. !871 the family are at 60 Silver st Stroud James is a haulier and his wife is CECILIA b. Dursley.They just have Charles. 1881 they are on Tower Hill Stroud this time his wife is SELINA and James is an Innkeeper and haulier. By then they have Charles, Eliza, Elizabeth. Emily and Mariah. You know in the 1891 returns have 3 more children. I have struggled to find the births or James and Selinas marriage. I thought I had found Charles' birth but when I received the certificate it was not my Charles. £7 down the drain! I am trying to arrange a visit to Gloucestershire records office but as I live in Sheffield and I dont drive I am reliant on my family and time off work. I hope to get down there in the spring.
Wright/South Yorkshire

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 November 06 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hmm I am meddling around going in completely the wrong direction, but there is an interesting James WEBB aged 13 in 1861 - living in Tower Hill Stroud & his father James is a beer seller at the Ram Inn!

All of which is not helping you to find out what happened afterwards!

I was hoping finding them earlier might help with the mystery name change of Letitia/ Cecilia.

Assuming it is not two people...

;)