Author Topic: Webb family/Stroud 1870/1910  (Read 5773 times)

Offline anitamo

• RootsChat Member
  • Life is a serious business. Isn't it?
    • View Profile
Re: Webb family/Stroud 1870/1910
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 November 06 21:02 GMT (UK) »
I think I have James born to Charles and Lois in Dursley, this would match up with the tradition then of naming the first born son after the boys grandfather. Strangley I have just been wandering around a few link sites and have found  www.gloucestershirepubs.co.uk and on there the first name I came to was the Anchor Inn landlord between 1891 and 1903 was a James Webb.I looked on the site  originally  to see if I could locate the inn on Tower Hill. This is probably a coincidence but it was a surprise. I am going to go back and systematically look for the birth records of all the children again! Thank you so much for all the efforts you are making for me. Anita :)
Orchard/Webb/Stroud Gloucestershire
Eldridge/Stroud Gloucestershire
Hattersley/Barnsley/Sheffield South Yorkshire
Wright/South Yorkshire
Carroll/Barnsley South Yorkshire

Offline gemic0

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Webb family/Stroud 1870/1910
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 October 23 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I think we possibly spoke before on another website in 2012... apologies if this is someone else.

I am a direct ancestor of Charles Webb 1870-1936. He was my 2nd Great-grandfather.

Just to clarify Charles Webb did not move to Sheffield and have another family. He did in fact die at home at Hill Street in Stroud with his family present on the 18th Feb 1936. I have the death certificate to prove this and family testimonials and photos of Charles. I spoke to a lady about this mix up before and unfortunately there are so many Webb's it is easy to get them muddled up, she had put years of research into the wrong family which was so sad.

Many thanks and good luck

Laura