Author Topic: Pub football teams in Madeley  (Read 2892 times)

Offline cbhasin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pub football teams in Madeley
« on: Tuesday 31 October 06 11:26 GMT (UK) »
My Grandfather Harry Powell  was born in Madeley in 1885. I have a team photograph which i guess was taken in a yard outside a pub.The team are sat behind a large cup and also their medals are on display.At a guess in would have been 1910 -1915. Does anyone have any idea whether their was  bIG Local league or have any history about local football in Madeley at the time.Thanks for any help   Christine

Offline wotty

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Pub football teams in Madeley
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 October 06 15:58 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if this will be of much help but Madeley Town football club was formed at a pub called the All Nations in Madeley in 1885.

Ironbridge United was a very strong team in the 1890s/1900 and it is said that some of the team were Madeley lads. Ironbridge played in both the Shropshire league and the Birmingham and District League (at different times).

I have also heard that there was a Madeley Wanderers at about the same time, but I know even less about that!

Wotty.
Meehan - Co Durham, Ireland, USA and Canada
Hopps -  Co Durham and N. Yks
Ward, Mortimer, Littleboy - Norfolk
Angus -  Co Durham
Pyle -  Co Durham and Northumberland
Rowntree -  N Yks and Co Durham
Ridley - Co Durham
Kelly -  Co Durham and Ireland

Offline s.g.d.

• RootsChat Senior
  • THE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF SHROPSHIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 October 06 18:30 GMT (UK) »
hello

have you seen this?

http://www.localhistory.madeley.org.uk/sports.html

hope it helps

s.g.d.

Offline cbhasin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 November 06 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thankyou wotty and sgd for your help. I would have liked to have sent the website my photo but the history group seems to have closed and are no longer accepting e mails.
 I have tried to attach the photo for you to see ,not sure how clear it will be.MY Granddad was quite a sportsman but not sure to what level he played. But it does look quite a big cup  .thanks again    Christine

Offline s.g.d.

• RootsChat Senior
  • THE PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF SHROPSHIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 November 06 18:48 GMT (UK) »
hello again Christine

thank you for adding the picture,I still can't help with it sorry,but did you see the photograph of a team at the Miners Arms?

they are in a very similar kit - it is in the Madeley Miscellany section if you missed it.

s.g.d.

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 November 06 09:19 GMT (UK) »

Hello Christine

I hope you don't mind but I've done a bit of tweaking with your photo - hope you don't mind :D

I'm not the best at photo restoration, but the guys over on the resoration board are fantastic.  Post your photo there and wait to see some amazing results!
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,298.0.html

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand