Author Topic: Severn Stoke....HELP!  (Read 2766 times)

Offline denben

• RootsChat Member
  • Can't stop until I know everything!
    • View Profile
Severn Stoke....HELP!
« on: Sunday 22 February 04 00:19 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to get details of a coroner's inquest regarding a death in Severn Stoke in 1903.  The official records only go back to 1920.  I was advised to check the local newspapers and travelled to Worcester Library and Family History Centre.  This is a great facility.
I checked four newspapers - all weekly newspapers.  The Worcester Chronicle, Herald, Advertiser and one other.  I couldn't find anything.  I should say that the content of all four was almost identical!  And there were some reports of inquests.

Does anyone know if there are other newspaper archives which would be appropriate?

Would Severn Stoke be covered by the Tewkesbury newspapers?

Any help would be appreciated.
Researching BENNETTs of Worcester & COTTERELLs of Westbury-on-Trym.  JAMES of Cheltenham, Charlton Kings  & West Town, Shirehampton. FORDS of Chawleigh and Budleigh Salterton, Devon.

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
Re: Severn Stoke....HELP!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 July 04 15:27 BST (UK) »
Did you try Berrow's Worcester Journal?

Mike
Beard Voyce, Scrivens in Worcestershire

Offline denben

• RootsChat Member
  • Can't stop until I know everything!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 July 04 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Mike,

I'm not sure.  I looked through four newspapers, the three that I've named and one other.  I'm afraid my brain went to sleep after trawling through that lot.

I was surprised that the contents of all of them were almost identical - perhaps they had news agencies even in those days!

I'm still really keen to find out about this inquest.  Would the newspaper that you've mentioned be more likely to carry a report than the others?  If so, then I'm off to Worcester again.
Researching BENNETTs of Worcester & COTTERELLs of Westbury-on-Trym.  JAMES of Cheltenham, Charlton Kings  & West Town, Shirehampton. FORDS of Chawleigh and Budleigh Salterton, Devon.

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 July 04 11:18 BST (UK) »
Berrow's used to be the weekly digest of Worcester News. The Evening News and Times was the daily paper.

There is a chance that the Berrows would carry extra news items.

Mike
Beard Voyce, Scrivens in Worcestershire