Author Topic: The Island Graveyard  (Read 14187 times)

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
Re: The Island Graveyard
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 May 07 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Poppy,

You are welcome.

Fr Gaynor still there it was him I was going to ring....   and Jim was the chap that walked the graveyard with me.... so back to square one....

I have one more possible check that I can do.. no point in promising you anything yet but I will keep trying. 

I took angles of the graveyard ( will post the others) sadly no palm tree.... you are probably right taken with the removal of the mounds..

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 May 07 22:23 BST (UK) »
These are the last of todays photos...

I am glad you are pleased. 

What wonderful letters to have.  I would love to own something like that....

I will keep 'on the job' and let you know what I find out even if its not good news

Best wishes

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 19 May 07 08:02 BST (UK) »
Mo:
What a wonderful thing to do!  Poppy, I can understand why you got a lump in your throat. 
God bless you Mo.

Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 June 07 16:41 BST (UK) »
Those are brilliant photos, Mo.

You should set up a website called Mo's Irish Monuments.

People could have a look for pictures of the headstones of their ancestors.
I was going to suggest Mo's Monuments but added Irish as otherwise you
might be travelling all over the world. Of course people could send you pics
from around the world for inclusion in the site  8)

Chris   

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 July 07 02:52 BST (UK) »
Can't set up a website Chris.... still working on my own and failing miserably but thanks for the idea... maybe one day...

Best wishes

Mo

Offline MikeW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 26 September 07 00:11 BST (UK) »
No connection to this topic, but I have been through Walsh's Island, and had to look at these photo's : brilliant !  And what a well-kept graveyard...unlike some places I've come across. Credit to the photographer, and the parish !
                                               M.

Offline Limgal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 November 07 20:17 GMT (UK) »
No connection with this topic either but just had to add how impressed I am with the amount of trouble Moscan has gone to to answer this query.

And what a treasure those photos are -especially for anyone with connections to Walsh`s Island.

Great to read of the priest`s and sacristan`s kindness too!

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 06 March 08 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi if you are still on this trail try a search in an area called Lemanaghan.My Granmother originated from the Tullamore area & she would often refer to the Island about people that lived near the Island but she mainly referred to the Island as a very holy place in a religious way.somewhere at the back of my brain ,I think she told me her sisters child was laid to rest at the Island graveyard if that is a true fact or not but if it is true that meant the Island graveyard was still in use in the 1920s.In the 1950s I recall my mother & I going to look for her cousins grave-if we found the grave I can not remember all I remember is a very old graveyard & it did not look like anyone had been laid to rest there in years.If you are still on the trail do try to checking it out you never know this may be the place you are looking for.I must add I love the photos Mo sent.

Offline poppyo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 07 March 08 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your message. I think I have found out everything possible now. The graveyard and church has all been 'modernised', there are no old graves now, but I love the photos and will treasure them.
Thank you for your interest, Barbara