Author Topic: Living in sin!  (Read 2772 times)

Offline Meaglin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Living in sin!
« on: Tuesday 31 October 06 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Did this really go on in the early 1900's?
I have spent many fruitless searchs looking for a record of the marriage of my g grandparents and cannot find any trace, therefore I am coming to the conclusion they may not have married but I am unsure if it was a common occurrence during this time. I have both of their death certificates and there are slight discrepancies in both of their ages and my g grandfathers forenames when I check them back to the 1901 census and before that I am stuggling to find them so I really was hoping for a marriage certificate to help me out. Also in the 1901 census they are living quite a distance from where they were both born so I suppose they could carry the charade off!!
Has anyone else encountered the same problem and have you been able to go back further I really dont want to give up but I am at a loss as to where to go next. If only they knew the trouble this is causing   ???
Scahill, Graham, Jardine, Bridge, Parr, Caunce
Looking in Burscough, Ormskirk, Parbold, Rufford, Mawdesley, Carlisle, Dumfries

Offline hh73050

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Living in sin!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 October 06 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Most likely your grandparents were legally married. Often churches kept these records, especially RC and they burned down regularly and records were lost. Oft times records of birth , marriage, death etc were also kept in Family bibles.

Good Hunting!

Ellen
DILLON, SHERIDAN, LYNCH, NAUGHTON

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 October 06 21:38 GMT (UK) »
I've got possibly 3 couples living together but not married.  First  2 couples late 1800s; third couple from late 1890s.  Third couple have been confirmed as never marrying by one of their grandchildren!  All 3 couples stayed in roughly their "home areas"  of London as well.

Still looking for marriages for the first 2 couples!

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 October 06 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Meaglin

Although Ellen is right that some church records have been lost along the way, your grandparents' marriage should have been registered with the secular authorities and it is these records that you have presumably been searching?

If you post their details, maybe a second pair of eyes can find them for you?

Welcome to Rootschat both of you!

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 October 06 21:41 GMT (UK) »
I would have thought the most common reason for not being married was that one party was not free to marry.
Have you searched for an earlier marriage to someone else?  
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 October 06 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Marriages in RC churches required the presence of the local Registrar, as the church was not licensed to carry out marriages until the middle of the 20th century.  The records should be available at the GRO.

I would not be surprised to find a couple living "in sin", as you put it, especially away from their home area.

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline Meaglin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 October 06 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for such prompt replys.
I did think that all church records ended up in the records office but with this hobby I have learned not to take things for granted!!
The details I have for my ggrandparents are as follows

ggrandfather on his death certificate is down as Thomas William Graham died 30 Jan 1942 age 77, on my granddads marriage certificate in 1942 he is down as Thomas William  Graham however on my grandads birth certificate in 1910 he is down as William Graham  and in the 1901 census he is living in Lathom Lancashire known as William Graham age 30 ( I have checked the original and it does say 30) born in Carlisle.
ggrandmother on her death certificte is down as Margaret Grahm died 9 January 1951 age 74 which has been crossed out and replaced by 73 on my granddads birth certificate her maiden name is given as Jardine and in the 1901 census she appears as Margaret Graham brn Dumfries.
Apologies if this seems disjointed buti ts all the information I have, I suppose my ggrandfather could have been married before I had not thought of that, I am trying hard to go backwards step by step so I do get the right people.
Thanks once again for all your help

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 October 06 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Have you searched scottish and english records for their marriage?
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Meaglin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 October 06 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bearkat,
Yes I have checked both English and Scottish records and not come up with anything, I am pretty new to all this and worry I have overlooked the obvious thats why I wondered if it was a possability for there to be no marriage.