Author Topic: Joseph SMITH of Sharnbrook  (Read 8495 times)

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph SMITH of Sharnbrook
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lesley

This other forum's posting can be found here....

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-4816.html

This was way back in Nov 2007 and I do not have these emails or any notes in my paperwork that tells me more. However this morning I went to Beds Archives this morning & they have a typed transcript of the Sharnbrook Baptist Chapel Book 1719 to 1838 & onwards? - however it is not indexed, neither is it a total list of people baptised there. By scanning it for half hour or so it tells me that on 16 Jan 1860 Joseph Smith, Deacon died aged 63 after a long & painful illness. Prior to that an entry states that Joseph Smith was baptised April 1840 & chosen as deacon in 1850; that same page has Jethro Whitmee baptised Nov 1841 (he married Joseph's daughter Ann in 1849).

The book lists various other SMITH names; Elizabeth Smith 1771, Charles Smith 2 Feb 1777, William Smith 2 Mar 1777 (both excluded Aug 1780), Clark Smith 7 Nov 1779 & excluded, Ephairam Smith 3 Aug 1786? & William Smith 1 Apr 1798. This date may be when these people were baptised, but the book does not say this, however a later entry  has William Smith baptised 2/3/1777 & died Sept? 1835, this could be the William Smith the elder as the book mentions. There is a burial in Sharnbrook dated 25 Aug 1835 of William Smith aged 88 (so born 1747)   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline L-Genealogy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 20 February 14 08:24 GMT (UK) »
John - thanks you SO much for doing this, that is wonderful. There is so much to digest there and you have really given me a way forward.

That book will def be worth another look. It's a bit of a hike for me as I'm in Oxon, but I think I will have to try and get over to the archives in Bedford some time. I haven't been able to go much beyond stuff I can find online until now.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 20 February 14 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Lesley, I've just discovered the source of the Sharnbrook Baptist church book info. It was a contact on Genes Reunited in Nov 2006 who sent me it. She is descended from Ann Smith (daughter of Joseph) who married Jethro Whitmee in 1849. I have just sent her a message with a link to this topic. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline L-Genealogy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 20 February 14 12:57 GMT (UK) »