Author Topic: New Genealogical software - have your say!  (Read 3188 times)

Offline Swampy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
New Genealogical software - have your say!
« on: Friday 12 November 04 09:47 GMT (UK) »
I've recently been chatting to a friend who runs a computer company about the deficiencies of existing genealogical software. My problem has been that I've found no single piece of software does all the things I require! Anyway, his company is currently on the lookout for new projects, and they may be interested in producing a program that covers all the bases. But what do you think would need to be included in the 'ideal' program? What capabilities would you like such software to have? I've given him my thoughts, so what about yours....?

Swampy
Plumb (London/Surrey/Kent)
Hatherill (London/Surrey)
Chittleburgh (London/East Anglia)
Rowden (Kent)
Jewiss (Kent)

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re: New Genealogical software - have your say!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 November 04 10:16 GMT (UK) »
I'm quite happy with the programme I've got, but have tried out a couple of others as demo versions.

What I can't seem to find anywhere is a programme that will print all of my tree, up to a size of say, A1.
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 November 04 10:26 GMT (UK) »
I have Roots Magic. I have failed to get it to understand what A4 paper is. It will print a narrow strip onto a following page even though the page had plenty of room to  print the chart. I suppose there is a way to get it to do what I want but it is difficult to find out.
Explanations of computer programmes [and I have used over 60 of them] are written for those who already know how to use them.
I am struggling also to find the exact method of exporting files to various destinations. It must be easy, and easy to describe. It is not easy to find.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Reggie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 November 04 11:04 GMT (UK) »
I'm quite happy with the programme I've got, but have tried out a couple of others as demo versions.

What I can't seem to find anywhere is a programme that will print all of my tree, up to a size of say, A1.

D

Do you mean wall charts?  I have a wall chart from ceiling to floor of my tree.  It was produced by The Master genealogist.

Reg
Johnson: Scotland & Australia
Robertson: Scotland & Australia
Bedford: London, Surrey, Somerset, Kent, Kensington
Ash(e): Ireland, NSW Australia
Tooley: England, NSW Australia
Austen: Surrey (Shalford)
Jackson: Australia - Ulmarra, Cowper
Howard: Australia - Maclean
Reiley: South Bersted, London
O'Reilley: London & Melbourne Australia
Tubb: Berkshire
Paterson: Scotland, NSW Australia
Higginbotham: possibly England, South Australia, NSW
Tooley: London, Sydney Australia

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 November 04 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Thats impressive Reggie.  Unfortunately my tree looks like yours but in landscape view  though. ;)
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 November 04 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Do you mean wall charts?  I have a wall chart from ceiling to floor of my tree.  It was produced by The Master genealogist.

Reg

Thats the sort Reg. I've not heard of that programme though, so I'll have a search.

Ta.
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Paul J Ballard

• RootsChat Member
  • www.paul-ballard.com for UK Ballard Genealogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 November 04 12:32 GMT (UK) »
I have used several genealogy programs over the past 20 years and without doubt The Master Genealogist is the best. It can print a wide variety of wall charts in sizes up to 3 feet by 30 feet !! It knows about A4, A3 etc. There is a UK version as well. It generates narratives that have sentence structures that can be left as the default or configured as you wish - very powerful. You can create new "tags" for events, I use one for bequests which is useful to show who left what to whom and strengthens the evidence of relationships. 

The chart printing and reports are, however, only a small part of what it can do. The capability to hold multiple relationships such as parents (not sure yet which ones are "proven"), the source and surety of the evidence, location of the document (repository) are all invaluable. It also has the ability to hold exhibits (like scans of certificates) against an event as well as recording research tasks that need to be done.

I have no connection with Wholly Genes who produce the software but IMHO it is the only genealogy program worth using. I am also an IT consultant and the software is extremely stable, includes back-up routines and integrity checks and I have had no loss of data or corruption in 10 years of using it. My master database exceeds 15,000 individuals so it can take volume as well.
Ballard in UK all locations and dates.
Other lines of interest - Wills, Bishop, Samuels, Dunnell, Easey, Wes(t)comb(e), Richarson, Jarvis, Mathews, Stoneham, Jarvis, Ingram, Edwards, Catt, Moore, Lintott, Tee, Lee, Phillips, Davies, Drew, and a few more!

Offline Adi1962

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 November 04 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Reggie / Paul

whats is like for web interaction ??

All the ones I have tried seem to dictate too much on how your page will look, very little room for editing. It would be nice to see a program that allows you to access the database and import it how you want it.

(Paul - did you see my Ballard post http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=19123.0)

Adrian
Currently researching
GODDEN, MARSH, WATERS & HUGHES Mid Kent
BUSHROD Mid Kent/Dorset,
FURMINGER Aylesford/Maidstone/Sittingbourne - Kent

visit http://www.Kent-opc.org

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Paul J Ballard

• RootsChat Member
  • www.paul-ballard.com for UK Ballard Genealogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 November 04 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Adrian,

Take a look at http://www.johncardinal.com/ss/ to get some idea of what is possible using the Second Site add-on. The standard html features in TMG are pretty good but Second Site is even better.

I had the George Ballard entry for 1841 - thank you. Not one of mine but someday I'll find a home for him. The address is Corner House.

Cheers,

Paul
Ballard in UK all locations and dates.
Other lines of interest - Wills, Bishop, Samuels, Dunnell, Easey, Wes(t)comb(e), Richarson, Jarvis, Mathews, Stoneham, Jarvis, Ingram, Edwards, Catt, Moore, Lintott, Tee, Lee, Phillips, Davies, Drew, and a few more!