Author Topic: Belfast Meet 2007  (Read 8941 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Belfast Meet 2007
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Christopher,

As I did not attend the 2006 Meet in Belfast I am not sure how the Meet was organised, cost wise.

I think that for those who have either never been to Belfast or have not been for some time, a visit to the Linenhall Library and the City Hall should be on the agenda, however, would either of these places be open on a Saturday and can we get a guided tour ?

What about an Irish  pub - lunch [ if they do one ] in the Crown Bar opposite The Europa ?

Also, would a visit to the Ulster Folk Museum at Cultra be appropriate?  I appreciate that this would involve hiring a bus with additional expense. For example, I have hired a 24 - seater bus for my daughter's wedding next week - 2 1/2 hours costing £120 - would this sort of costing be too much if divided amongst those travelling ?

Please feel free to give me your comments.

Leslie

That's more or less the same as last year Leslie. The Crown Bar is a good idea. I was thinking of the Assembly Building ... Church House in Fisherwick Place ... the General Secretary was not in his office when I phoned today. I also thought of an hour or to an hour and a half on the Open Top Bus Tour. It's a tenner a head.  A guided walking tour of Belfast is also worth considering... they cost about a fiver. The Folk Museum would depend on how many come with cars. The City Hall tour is a good one and there is a guide. Everyone at last year's Meet enjoyed that .. one of the party put on the Lord Mayor's Robes.

Several of the Belfast Forum members are also RootsChatters so I've posted details on that site too. We might be accompanied by potential new members in addition to several who post here on a regular basis.

Chris

Offline Lesl1e

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 22:31 GMT (UK) »
What about the City Hall, the Assembly Building, the Linenhall Library for a snack lunch, the Crown Bar and then the bus tour . That way we will not breathe Guinness in the Assembly Building !

It all depends if the City Hall, Assembly Building, Linenhall Library and the bus tour work on a Saturday.

Leslie
Co.Fermanagh:Donegan, Co.Antrim:Donaldson,Donegan
Co.Down:Bingham,Cromie,Ferguson,Henning,Thompson,Truesdale,Young
Co.Galway/Co.Sligo:McNiffe, Cornwall: Bray, Bucks:Steele, Notts:Thompson
Devon: Harris, Canada:McNiffe, USA:Frink,Henning

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 14 June 07 13:31 BST (UK) »
RootsChat Belfast Meet. Saturday 28th July.   

If there are enough members in Belfast during the week Monday 23rd to 28th July we could meet on one of the other days that week too.

Christopher

Offline sunseeker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 14 June 07 22:51 BST (UK) »
We will be in Ireland and will now have my daughter inlaw and 20month old and very active grandchild with us. At the moment we are not planning to be around Belfast befor 28th. But that may change depending upon what response you have and my families priorities. We are still open to ideas and suggestions of what to do.
thanks Chris for your help.
David
Hutchinson / Miller / McNeice
Co. Antrim, Kirkinriola, Ballymena

Offline sunseeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 01 July 07 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris,

That must have been very disappointing to have only 6 out of 60 possibilities attending the Dublin meet.
 How many definites have you got for the Belfast meet?  Now we have come up from from Australia we are not likely to be backing out. Those that are coming should list what they would like to do.
Maybe it could be weekend meet and hire a bus, provided there are sufficient numbers to have an extended tour around Belfast etc.
We need to know where we should be meeting up.

David

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 01 July 07 12:10 BST (UK) »
The City Sight Seeing Tours start at 9.30am and run every half hour until 4.30pm. The tours last an hour and a half. You are able to hop off where you want, have a look round and hop on the next bus.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 13 July 07 03:39 BST (UK) »
I'd like to offer my apologies. I've lost interest in organising the Belfast Meet. If there are any members living in the Belfast area who would like to assist that might awaken my interest.

I'd hoped for a better turnout at the Dublin Meet ... at least the quality was there if not the quantity. We had a good time and later in the year will probably announce details of a 2008 Dublin Meet. Keep your eyes open for messages from members of the RootsChat Dublin Six :D

Christopher

Offline sunseeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 07:34 BST (UK) »
G'day to all of you out there,

Sorry to hear that the interest for the Belfast meet fell by the way. Anyway we are over here now so if anyone sees 3 Aussies with a toddler wandering around your great country, then come and say G'day.
We will be in the northern parts this weekend and if anyone wants to meet up with us then please reply via personal message. I hope to find out more of the Hutchinson's who came from Ballymena in 1838,so if anyone can assist that would be great.

David

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 15:37 BST (UK) »
Yes it is a shame......I am just leaving for Belfast now and will be at the Linenhall Libary on Saturday at 9.30...just incase anyone turns up..... ;D

looking forward to meeting you all

Steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk