Author Topic: Belfast Meet 2007  (Read 8940 times)

Offline sunseeker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Belfast Meet 2007
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 December 06 08:26 GMT (UK) »
G'day from Australia. We are planning a trip over your way in July. As my ancestor came from  Ballymena in 1830's. we would like to visit that area while over there. So my question is are you planning a meet in Belfast in July or August. We have already booked into some places we propose to visit.
Hutchinson / Miller / McNeice
Co. Antrim, Kirkinriola, Ballymena

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 December 06 08:44 GMT (UK) »
I too missed the Meet in Belfast this year but would like to attend one in 2007.

Leslie

That's great Leslie. I put your name on the list.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 December 06 08:47 GMT (UK) »
G'day from Australia. We are planning a trip over your way in July. As my ancestor came from  Ballymena in 1830's. we would like to visit that area while over there. So my question is are you planning a meet in Belfast in July or August. We have already booked into some places we propose to visit.

Seasons Greetings sunseeker,

What dates will you be over?

I think we are easy on the date at the moment so could arrange the meet to fit in with your plans.

Chris.

Offline Lesl1e

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 December 06 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Christopher,

Looking forward to the Meet.  At the present time I think that either July or August suits me.

Leslie        :)
Co.Fermanagh:Donegan, Co.Antrim:Donaldson,Donegan
Co.Down:Bingham,Cromie,Ferguson,Henning,Thompson,Truesdale,Young
Co.Galway/Co.Sligo:McNiffe, Cornwall: Bray, Bucks:Steele, Notts:Thompson
Devon: Harris, Canada:McNiffe, USA:Frink,Henning

Offline sunseeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 January 07 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher,
The last week of July looks to be the time we wil be visiting Ireland.  The first week of August wil see us in Scotland. We would like to attend the Belfast meet if it is around that time. What could we expect in attending the belfast meet?

My roots go back to Andrew Hutchinson born 1799 at Ballymnena his father was Andrew Hutchinson,(boot/shoemaker) and Mother, Jane Miller who lived in Antrim area.

I would like to know if they had other children and where in Antrim these details could be found.

The son Andrew married Esther McNeice who was born Feb 1802 in Ballymena. Esther’s parents were James and Martha McNeice. James was a brickmaker.

Andrew and Esther had 7 children Mary Jane, born 26Feb 1821, Archibald b. 22/Nov 1822, Matilda b. 14Jan 1824, Robert b. 24dec 1827, Andrew b. 12Aug 1829., Sarah Jane b Jan 1832, and Henry b 12Aug 1834. It appears that they were Presbyterians. They are listed as being born at Kirkinriola, Ballymena, Co Antrim Ireland
The family emigrated from Ireland to Australia in 1838/9 on the ship Garrow

There is a thought that Andrew was an Elder at the First Presbyterian Church in Ballymena.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 13 January 07 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sunseeker,

Does Saturday 28th July suit or would the 21st be better for you.
When you say "we" how many will there be? May I put your names on the list?

At this stage I'm not sure what we'll do at the meet. We visited the Linenhall Library, St Anne's Cathedral and City Hall last year. I went on a couple of guided walking tours ... one in August and one in September so we might consider including one of those which lasts an hour to an hour and a half. They are interesting and tell you all about Belfast's history. The visit to the Ulster Museum is a non starter as it is closed for a refurbishment. 

All the Best,

Chris.

Offline sunseeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,  Belfast meet for the 28th July will be right for us.  My wife will be with me. It would be great if I found some distant cousins over there. I am still looking  up Andrew Hutchinson in Ballymena prior to 1838. No luck so far. 
David

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your message, David.

I look forward to meeting you and your wife.

This year's event looks, at this stage, as though the Belfast Meet will be better than that we had last year. Although it's only January we have fifty percent of last year's attendance on the list already including you and your wife from Australia. Let's hope we get come Americans and Canadians coming too. Last year's event only had members from England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

Chris

Offline Lesl1e

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Christopher,

As I did not attend the 2006 Meet in Belfast I am not sure how the Meet was organised, cost wise.

I think that for those who have either never been to Belfast or have not been for some time, a visit to the Linenhall Library and the City Hall should be on the agenda, however, would either of these places be open on a Saturday and can we get a guided tour ?

What about an Irish  pub - lunch [ if they do one ] in the Crown Bar opposite The Europa ?

Also, would a visit to the Ulster Folk Museum at Cultra be appropriate?  I appreciate that this would involve hiring a bus with additional expense. For example, I have hired a 24 - seater bus for my daughter's wedding next week - 2 1/2 hours costing £120 - would this sort of costing be too much if divided amongst those travelling ?

Please feel free to give me your comments.

Leslie

Co.Fermanagh:Donegan, Co.Antrim:Donaldson,Donegan
Co.Down:Bingham,Cromie,Ferguson,Henning,Thompson,Truesdale,Young
Co.Galway/Co.Sligo:McNiffe, Cornwall: Bray, Bucks:Steele, Notts:Thompson
Devon: Harris, Canada:McNiffe, USA:Frink,Henning