Author Topic: Hoskins family help please  (Read 1843 times)

Offline wifee40

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hoskins family help please
« on: Thursday 02 November 06 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to trace my family tree and have discovered that my Grandfathers name was Arthur James Hoskins borne bet Jan and March, 1884 in llanelly. He married Lillian Mary jones who was born in 1896 in bedwelty. They married on 1st June,  1914 at the parish church, bedwelty, and they then lived at 14 elm street, aler borgoed. llanelly. I am interested to find out if they had any children while living in wales. I know they moved to Birmingham in about 1929 and had twins in 1938 called names of living persons edited by Moderator . Any help or advice would be gratefully recieved. thanks jacqui

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
Re: Hoskins family help please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 November 06 15:18 GMT (UK) »
I presume Aler Borgoed is in fact Aberbargoed, which is fairly close to Bedwellty. I don't understand the fact that you follow it with Llanelly; if this info comes from the marriage cert, could this be a reference to Arthur's birthplace?
  Llanelly (now spelt Llanelli) is a long way away and in Carmarthenshire as far as the historic counties go. There is a village called Llanelly near Abergavenny in Monmouthshire, but that's not particularly close to Bedwellty either.
   Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wifee40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 November 06 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi, i am getting the info from the marriage cert. I believe it is Aberbargoed, the writing is a bit hard to understand. It is definately elm street, aberbargoed, it is quite possible that the llanelly could be a reference to Arthurs birth place. If anyone can help me i would be very grateful. thanks jacqui

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 November 06 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Wifee, welcome to Rootschat.

Checked and there are no applicable births on FreeBMD, but this only goes up to c1915.

You can search the index free, with trying to find surname 'Hoskins' against maiden name 'Jones' in the Bedwellty reg district, but unless you have the cert from the reference number (if you find any) there will be no telling who parents are. 

It can be a trawl, but there is no other way of going forward  without family info.  Here is the link.

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/rectype/vital/freebmd/bmd.aspx

Good luck

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 November 06 15:43 GMT (UK) »
This will also give you an idea of church / BMD records, dates, and were they are kept.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/MON/Bedwellty/index.html

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline wifee40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile