Author Topic: Regiment ID - WWI  (Read 2120 times)

Offline daveyg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Regiment ID - WWI
« on: Thursday 02 November 06 15:43 GMT (UK) »
My father's parents both grew up in Plymouth, England & in one of their scrapbooks is a photo of a chap with the caption 'Les Collins - RIP'. I believe Les & my grandfather were both in the St. Peter's Lads Brigade in Plymouth prior to the First World War. There are no 'L' Collins listed within the CWGC site though the surname has many, many references.

I was hoping someone may be able to assist me in identifying the uniform in the attached photo of Les Collins to help me narrow down my search. I was thinking perhaps of the Devonshire Regiment.

I've included the scan of the cap badge but I don't think it's going to help much. Since the original posting I've also viewed the Devonshire Regiment's badge & I do not believe Les is from that unit. I have a fairly good scanner, it's blurred in the original image. Thanks again...

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Regiment ID - WWI
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 November 06 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
It's not the Devonshire Regt, their badge is an 8-pointed star surmounted by a crown.

This looks like the Royal Engineers to me.
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline daveyg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 November 06 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this. Is there anything in the photo that might indicate the year in which it was taken? I was thinking 1915/16...

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 November 06 09:06 GMT (UK) »
To my eye, there's nothing specific in the photo that would help date it.
But maybe others on here will know different.

Neil
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline themonsstar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 November 06 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The 8th Battalion Hampshire Regiment, had a badge like this, thay were a Territorial Force infantry unit.

Offline daveyg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 November 06 14:29 GMT (UK) »
I appreciate the assistance. Even though this lad wasn't a family member, he obviously meant something to my grandparents & the fact he died (however & whereever) so young I hope I can find out his story. Thanks again, the information will help.

Offline daveyg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 December 06 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello again. Still having difficulty attempting to confirm this young mans regiment. Is there a good site out there re: cap badges that I'm missing? I cannot confirm either of the generous tips offered by Neil & themonstar pointing to the Royal Engineers or the 8th Battalion Hampshire Regiment. Any further assistance would be appreciated. Merry Christmas!

Cheers,
Dave

Offline wizz123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 December 06 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Davy,

After a little research for you,l think l could have solved your interest in L.Collins.
    The cap badge looks like the Army Service Corps,please refer to www.1914-1918.net/asc.htm
     The L.Collins you refer to,could this be the same soldier l found at www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=25742
      This gives the information,l think you need.l hope your research goes well and the information l have given you is correct or at least helps.

Merry Christmas
                              WIZZ
Archer(Lincolnshire)Foat(Lincolnshire,Kent),Thatcher(Manchester),Smith(Nottinghamshire).

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 December 06 14:25 GMT (UK) »
thats not an ASC badge

the badge on the left is an ASC badge and there are some considerable differences