Author Topic: Regiment ID - WWI  (Read 2119 times)

Offline daveyg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Regiment ID - WWI
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 December 06 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this Wizz. Only problem is I'm fairly convinced that Les was a lad from Plymouth, England & had grown up with my grandparents. In 1920 my grandfather transferred from the RN to the RCN & we ended up in Canada so I place his death prior to that time - based on the scrapbook info & the era it was from. Of course another possibility is that Les survived the war only to be felled by the Spanish flu.

The lack of a United Kingdom based 'L. Collins' on the CWGC site of course makes me think 'Les' was a nickname or middle name of the chap in question. I dunno, but I appreciate the input.

Thanks for the ASC clarification harribobs.

Dave

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 December 06 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Dave,
I'd have thought he'd still be on CWGC if he died of the Spanish flu (same applies to my great grandad, and he's on there)

This is the best site I can point you to for badges:
http://www.militarybadges.org.uk/badges/badgestart.htm

Neil
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline daveyg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 December 06 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Wonderful site Neil, thanks. That's what I was looking for. Were the victims of the flu treated the same as those who died of wounds post 11/11/1918 on the CWGC site - meaning if they were still in service, they would be listed? I don't mean to sound daft or anything but I've often wondered...