Author Topic: Huguenot research tips please  (Read 1049 times)

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Huguenot research tips please
« on: Thursday 02 November 06 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi, please can anybody give me any tips about Huguenot research and how to maybe trace them to France like Julia Sawahla did. I know about parish registers, wills, censues etc at record offices and the various websites. But am not sure where other Huguenot sources come from.

Would be so grateful for any help anybody is able to give me.

Thanks

Anna
Mullon, Fowell, Thornely, Wilding, Lowndes,Gallimore - Cheshire
Routledge, Bell, Gillesby, Armstrong, Forster, Ewart, Nixon, Kennedy,Reay,Wright,Nattrass,Little,Richardson - Cumberland
Winsborough, Hannabus, Copp, Salter, Bray, Williams, Bonney, Creedy, Matthews, Kelner - Devon
Minto, - Durham
Allaker, Fitch,Groom,Queary - Essex
Steeple, Moult, Woodcock - Lancashire
Trafford, Hambleton, Cordon, Sweetman, Goldstraw, Brough, Barton, Dawson, Sutton, Stevenson - Staffordshire
Huess - Somerset

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Huguenot research tips please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 November 06 13:16 GMT (UK) »
http://www.huguenotsociety.org.uk/

The Huguenot Society of Great Britain and Ireland may be able to assist or point you in the right direction

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 November 06 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Falkyrn, Thanks very much for that, have also contacted Huguenot researcher Michael Gandy so will see what he can tell me as well.

Thanks again

Anna
Routledge, Bell, Gillesby, Armstrong, Forster, Ewart, Nixon, Kennedy,Reay,Wright,Nattrass,Little,Richardson - Cumberland
Winsborough, Hannabus, Copp, Salter, Bray, Williams, Bonney, Creedy, Matthews, Kelner - Devon
Minto, - Durham
Trafford, Hambleton, Cordon, Sweetman, Goldstraw, Brough, Barton, Dawson, Sutton, Stevenson - Staffordshire
Huess - Somerset

Offline flossy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 December 06 19:09 GMT (UK) »
             I also believe my family to be decended from Huguenot. The family name is Jaques and I know that in 1700s to 1800s they were printers, first of all in Chichester , then moving to London.

I was aware of the Huguenot society you mention, but unfortunatly I live near Newcastle and it would seem that all the information is based in the London area.

Do you know of any records that would be accessable to me ?

Any info' would be appreciated.

flossy

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 December 06 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Flossy, sorry it has taken me so long to answer you, I must have totally missed this post. The only researcher I know of regarding Huguenots is Michael Gandy but I have only just got into Huguenots myself. Have you tried asking on here yet to see if there is anybody about who can help, Cadoret answered a query for me, the last message they left was on Devon Lookup Requests on the 20th.

Very sorry again!

Anna
Minto, - Durham
Huess - Somerset