Author Topic: Hay-McCleod  (Read 4368 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Hay-McCleod
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 December 06 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Lastly for now, the marriage of Norman and Mary Hay, an actual extract from the OPRs on IGI:

NORMAN MCLEOD     Marriages: Spouse:  MARY HAY    
Marriage:  08 JUL 1844  Coupar Angus, Angus, Scotland

Can't easily see birth entries for them in Perth on IGI as yet.

Regards.

Monica

To get a feel on the counties and parishes, this is my favourite site for this. Click on either the county or parishes tabs on the left hand side: www.scotlandsfamily.com/gazetteer.htm

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gbugden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Wow Monica
What a deluge of information; I'm most grateful! I'll process the material and get back to you when I have a think. Thank you for your generous time on my behalf. :)
Cheers Greg

Offline gbugden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 December 06 04:43 GMT (UK) »
Monica you were spot on with your intuition that Matilda Marshall was also a Walker. You have done a great job.

Cheers Greg

Offline gbugden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 December 06 05:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
If I can impose one more time...was the Macleod family still in Angus in the subsequent census ( 1871/81)?

I am trying to pin down a date for when David and his family emmigrated. We thought it was 1859, but that must be wrong!

Cheers Greg

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 December 06 22:51 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Greg

There doesn't seem to be any trace of the family in Angus in the 1871 Census. I've searched only in Angus where I have got zero results with most of the family names and age bands.

There are more entries coming up elsewhere in Scotland, but the 1871 Census is pay to view each page/image on Scotlands People. The earlier censuses can be searched and are indexed from other sources.

I would say given the family were relatively stable in Angus, the fact that they don't show there in 1871 would make me think they had left in the period 1861-71 (pre census).

Maybe you could try a new post here on Rootschat on the Emigrants Board where people have access to more relevant databases to try and find details of their passage to Australia:

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,165.0.html

I hope you have a wonderful Christamas with your nearest and dearest  :)

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gbugden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 December 06 01:34 GMT (UK) »
Merry Christmas Monica. Thanks for your help and advice. You do a marvellous job here.  Enjoy your break.

Cheers Greg

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 10 January 07 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Forfarshire and Angus are the same county. It changed from Forfar to Angus, at some point (not sure of the dates) and became known as Angus....I'm sure someone here will have a more detailed explanation  ;)

Angus is the traditional/ancient name of the county. The name 'Forfarshire' came in in the 18th century, probably by analogy with various counties named after their county town. It was officially changed back to Angus by an Act of Parliament in 1928, which came into effect in 1929.

Other counties which suffered a similar set of changes were Moray (Elginshire), West Lothian (Linlithgowshire), Midlothian (Edinburghshire) and East Lothian (Haddingtonshire).
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.