Author Topic: End of Patronymic naming - children taking different surnames?  (Read 8094 times)

Offline brawd houdini

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: End of Patronymic naming - children taking different surnames?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 September 08 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hello everybody,

I don't know how the Laws of Hywel Dda would deal with this,but I know of 2 ways things were dealt with in my family lines.

To use a male child as an example,he would be Dafydd Mab Sioned Ferch Mair.

Or,he would Dafydd Sioned Ap Rhys,using his Mother's Father to signify his descent.

I believe both to be valid in naming families as to the Welsh tradition [back to the Ninth generation].

I have an interesting instance of illegitimacy in my family[though much later than this].One of my Ancestors used the local Squire's surname as her child's middle name,making it quite obvious who the father was!! She then used her father's surname for the child.This was in the 1800's and was quite daring to say the least.

Regards,brawd houdini
Evans-Pencarreg,Llanybyther,Cwrtnewydd[Llanwennog]Cwmann,Merthyr,Llanwinnio,Bedwellty,London,Canada,Scotland and more.
Griffiths-
Cwrtnewydd,Llanfihangel ystrad,Nantcwnlle,Bwlchllan,Penuwch and more.
Davies-
Pencarreg,Cwmann,Llanybydder,Cribyn,Llanfihangel ystrad.
Also Jones in Winnipeg,Canada and Llangeitho,Williams and Lloyd in Tregaron,Llanfihangel ystrad,Cribyn,Gorsgoch,Cardigan

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 September 08 09:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks  :)

so it all depended! And a girl would be similarly named.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline alwyn21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 10:51 BST (UK) »
Nothing to add to brawd Houdini's excellent analysis - I'd agree totally. In fact almost all illegitimate children would be brought up as part of the extended family anyway and might appear to be the child of the grandfather and grandmother, or of a childless uncle or aunt - they bothered much less about things like that, but the element of consanguinity was the vital fact.....

Perthynas ( belonging by blood) not cysylltiad ( relation by marriage) was the important element