Author Topic: COWLEY Family of Bletchingley then Coulsden/Mitcham  (Read 6110 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: COWLEY Family of Bletchingley then Coulsden/Mitcham
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 November 06 12:58 GMT (UK) »
... and lizdb's 1869 was a slip of the finger ... it's 1860.

You can check it for yourself at FreeBMD.
http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/

Hey everyone, I am SO sorry!! Tati is right, I still have my tatty scrap of paper by the computer with notes on it, and that clearly says 1860!!
Didnt intend to lead you up the garden path - it's easy enough to wander there quite naturally when researching without some idiot like me sending you there!!!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: COWLEY Family of Bletchingley then Coulsden/Mitcham
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 November 06 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

The children's ages are:
Winifred D age 2
Florence T or I age 1

both born Couldson, which registers in Croydon.

Birth Walter Harry Cawley March 1872 Godstone

Eliza's birthplace is quite clearly Kingston in 1901.
I can't see an exact match, but there is an Eliza Padgett on the 1891 census for Bletchingley - birthplace Surrey Epsom, niece to Edward and Mary Barden.

Tanja  :)

IF she's the one, then this should be her in 1881:
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=uki1881&indiv=try&h=4868151
and tracing her elder brother back to 1871, it leads us to a parents Edwin Padgett c. 1841 Yorks Guiseley and Jemima b. ca. 1843 in Devon Exeter (who dies in 1877 Godstone registration district)

Many, many thanks to you all.
I've had another look at the 1901 census and it seems the transciber got the age wrong for Florence as well as the initial. Well done and thanks Tanja for picking that up and also for confirming Kingston. The date error was leading me to query the place as well.
I've found Eliza in 1891 as well where she is a granddaughter at John Padgetts' home in Bletchingley with links to Leeds which tie to Edwin being from Yorkshire.
Thanks especially for the changed marriage date, 1860 does now fit. Don't worry lisdb I'm the same with papers all over the place and forever chasing people who seem to delight in using the same names over and over just to confuse us!!

The marriage found by Little Nel seems to indicate that William Cawley and Ann Gasson married after the first 4 of Williams children were born, so perhaps she was a second wife?

Now to get the info into place.
Thanks again,
Roger
MATSON-East Kent.  HURST- Oxfordshire.