Author Topic: Were your family in British India? please read  (Read 31433 times)

Offline watha

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Were your family in British India? please read
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 17 March 07 00:26 GMT (UK) »
What a wonderful, generous offer!

I'm chasing Ann Rebecca Williams, born in Bellary in possibly 1833. She was married in Hong Kong in 1847, making her 14!!!, so the DOB could be wrong. Her father was James Williams, a soldier.

I do remember finding a Court Martial record for a James Williams in the correct time frame, in the area near Bellary, and that the regiment he was in was later posted to Hong Kong.

I have no other details than this sorry! I would be most grateful if you could have a quick squizz for me and see what you can dig up.

Thanks!

Kez :)

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Large Family circa 1906
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 22 March 07 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Gem

Could I take you up on your kind offer?

I am struggling to find information regarding the family of Richard Burrows Rodda who was a gunmaker of Calcutta.

He married Elizabeth Sheppard in Ludlow, Shropshire in 1833 and then went over to India.

He had four daughters in all - I do not think he had any sons.

Hannah Sophia Rodda - married John Tapp Dunn. The 1861 census puts her birth in America.

Elizabeth Inshaw Rodda - married Robert Taylor in India in 1853.

Clara Anne Rodda - married John C Liebenhals in Calcutta in 1864.

Lucy Emily Inshaw Rodda - born in Calcutta in 1853 - married Frank Gall in England.

Elizabeth Inshaw and Robert Taylor had a daughter Amy Elizabeth in Calcutta in 1854 and sometime before 1861 Robert died. Elizabeth's death certificate states Robert was a Cabinet Maker. Elizabeth's mother Elizabeth was also a widow by 1861 - they are living back in England and both are widows.

The confusing thing was that the IGI gives Richard's name as Richard Birt Rodda but it wasn't until today when I received his widows death cert that it gave his proper name as Richard Burrows Rodda - Gunmaker. I know there was a firm R B Rodda & Co in Calcutta who were one of the most famous gunmakers in the East and their guns are now worth quite a bit!

Any help you could give me would be great - ideally I would like to know when Richard and Robert died, and any information on the firm of R B Rodda would be lovely.

Many thanks

Regards

Alex

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Marshall: Leeds/Silkstone/Ashton/Hyde. Griffiths: Llanrhaeder ym Mochnant/Glyn Ceiriog/Ashton. Pilley: Chelmsford/Maldon. Hallas: Ashton/Stalybridge. Large: Tarvin/Manchester/Mossley. McDonald: Ireland/Whitfield/Mossley.

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, My husband's family were out in India in the 1880's up to about 1957.

I've very little info about them, except that they seem to have had some connection with the railways out there.

William George Osborne (b.1853) married married Margaret Proctor (I believe in the UK) and they had 7 children who were all born in India - the eldest child was Amy, b.1880.

I have correspondance mailed to William with the address: The Retreat, Igatpuri G I (J?) P, India. There is also reason to believe they lived in Jubbalpore at some time.

Amy married a Sgt. Robert Harry Brown who was in the army and was probably stationed in India at the time. Someone sent me this entry which was found in the ecclesiatical records in the India Office Records at the British
Library:

Robert Harry Brown, 29, bach. Armourer Sgt at Deolali.   father: Robert
Harry.
Amy Osbourne, 22, spinst. Igatpuri.    father: William George (a
witness).
Married 8.7.03, St Mathias, Igatpuri.

She died in 1917 from a brain tumour and he died in the Influenza epidemic of 1919, leaving their six children to be raised by their maternal grandparents.

I'm not sure how to get any further information , so far I have drawn a blank.
Is there any other way I can find out about Amy's birth registration and that of her siblings?

Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline yjm

• RootsChat Member
  • Cornelius Tyte 1815-1891
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 20 April 07 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Gem

Would be extremely grateful if you could look up William Leonard TYTE.

All I have on him is that he was born in Yeovil Somerset in 1879.  From his medal card it states that he served in the Royal Field Artillery as Bombardier then Corporal. Indian Army as Captain and Indian Army Reserve of Officers as 2nd Lieutenant.

Any info would be great.  Thanks

Eve
TYTE - Clock makers, Grocers - Somerset, Surrey
PLENTY, CURTIS - Millers, Yeoman Farmers - Somerset
MONK - Boatbuilders - Staffordshire, Worcestershire
MILLS - Sawyers, Joiners, Hackney Cab Proprietors - Warwickshire, London, Surrey

Offline ChrisandGarry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 14 May 07 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Gem,

Hoping you may be able to point me in the right direction?

My GGrandfather Ernest William Morley-Atkins was born in Punjab India in 1884.  His father Ernest Morley-Atkins was a British Surgeon working in India.  On Ernest William's Marriage(03/03/1914 Cairns, Queensland, Australia) and Death certificate's (26/09/1914 Cairns, Queensland, Australia) his father is listed as Ernest Morley-Atkins and mother Ellen Miles.

Ernest William committed suicide 2 weeks after his wife(Alice Mona May b.1887 Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia. d. 16/09/1914 St Margaret's Private Hospital, Cairns, Queensland, Australia) died from complications giving birth to twins(Wendy Mona, my grandmother and Kenneth Murray, Great Uncle)  the twins were adopted by two families, however, they kept in touch with each other.

The only information we have are letters from the Matron in Charge of the hospital where my GGrandmother died.
Information from Matron Walpole's Letters:- Ernest William entered the Navy in the usual course, at the time when he should have been a Junior Lieutenant his ship was at Teneriffe. The story of Nelson's flag which was kept in the Cathedral drew the attention of some of these young men and they planned to retrieve it.  They were caught in the act and arrested by the Spanish.  The incident was reported to the British Government and the consequence was their parents were requested to remove them from the Navy.  He didn't feel he was badly treated, but he realised it had spoiled his life.  His father was an Army Doctor in India and he was sent as a baby to an Aunt in England.  He had a brother who went into the Army but he may have died at the outbreak of the Great War.  In India he broke his wrist riding in Polo, which came against him.

Any help on how I would start to track down information would be great.

Thank you all in advance 1st time on this list not sure if I given to much information or too little.

Chris
England: Crowther, Cleall, Falcke, McKay, May, Megson, Morley-Atkins, Wilson,   
Australia: Buchanan, Currey, Kello, Gooding, Mayfield, Wilson,
India: Morley-Atkins
South Africa: Davies

Offline malbec

• RootsChat Extra
  • Cornelius Family Crest
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 25 May 07 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Gem, what a generous offer!

My Great-Grandfather John Cormack Mackenzie left the UK sometime after 1905 and lived in Burma, possibly around Thayetmyo. My Grandmother, Maisie Mackenzie was born in Burma in 1911. 
John was a member of the Indian civil service and at some time prior to 1917 lived in India.  I have found a record of him leaving the UK again in 1917 bound for Rangoon and his previous place of residence is given as India.
Any info would be gratefully received!

Bec, Australia
Cormack,Doull,Geddes,Green,Phimister,Sinclair,Sutherland-Caithness
Cornelius-Burma
Mackenzie/McKenzie-Ross & Cromarty, Caithness, Edinburgh, Burma
Skinner-Kent, Madras
Meakin,Whittaker-Staffordshire
Flood-Kildare
Brodie-Australia, Dundee
Tickle-Birmingham
Torrens-Derry

Offline Mars Barr

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 30 May 07 15:36 BST (UK) »
Can I ask you please about one of the surnames you have quoted GRANT

I am trying to find out if an ancestor of mine was in India (possibly an army man) his name was GEORGE NELSON GRANT b 1870 in Derby
Could this be the holder of the Grant surname you have

If you could solve this for me,I wouldbe so grateful, thank you
aka Maud
Gartland (Canada)  Copeland (Derby & Leicester)  Barr (Greenock-Scotland)
Geoghan(Ireland)  Jarvis (Essex)

Offline timaussie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 04 June 07 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Gem,
My grandfather, Lionel Kingsley Cooper (British) I believe was a Captain in the Indian Army Reserve attached to the Works Directorate (engineer) around 1917/1918 before moving onto Iraq posting. Any army record?
He married a British army nurse, Annie Ethel Jones in Dec 1917 at Christ Church, Byculla, Bombay - Would there be a more detailed record available to confirm this?
Their first child, Annie Ethel Charlotte was  born in August 1918 in Bombay. Any records?
Any help appreciated, Tim
LUCAS-Hampshire, GREENER-Hampshire/Berkshire, COOPER-Middlesex, TAYLOR-Surrey, MORGAN-Llanedy, CLEMENT-Landilotalybont & Llandebie, JONES-Llandebie, LEWIS-Llanegwed-Carm/Morriston-Glam/Cwmavon-Glam, HODGSON-Staffordshire

Offline ricoba

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 04 June 07 11:51 BST (UK) »
HI, I HOPE THE OFFER IS STILL OPEN, IF SO, I AM LOOKING FOR WILLIAM HAWKINS.[MY GREAT GRANDFATHER] .I DO NOT KNOW THEIR FIRST NAMES BUT MY GRANDMOTHERS SISTER WAS MARRIED TO A......COOPER AND A .....IRONS.I THINK THEY WERE IN THE HUSSAHS.NANA'S SISTER WAS EDITH I THINK?THANKS FOR ANY HELP        RICOBA
Sims KENT
Hawkins GLOUS
Clarke STAFFORD
Danks WARW
Parker WARW
Godfrey M/SEX
RossWARW