Author Topic: look up for Dundee marriage.  (Read 2758 times)

Offline lanarkshire lassie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
look up for Dundee marriage.
« on: Friday 03 November 06 22:54 GMT (UK) »
I have my g grandfather's birth details. He was born, James Morrison 31/01/1866.(Edinburgh)  I have his parents, William Morrison and Ann Connor,as being married on what appears to be "1st April 1865 Dundee". If anyone can confirm these details, I would be most grateful. I will then be able to look farther into my family roots! Gail.
McBride/Steele/McMaster/Tweed -County Antrim
Morrison-Lanarkshire/Edinburgh/Doune/Bo'ness
Coventry- Coatbridge/old monkland/ Kilmacolm/Port Glasgow/Ireland
Wylie- County Armagh/ Old Monkland.
Pender- Old Monkland.
Stirling- Old Monkland.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: look up for Dundee marriage.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 November 06 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gail

There's no marriage entry showing for a couple with these names any time between 1860-67 in all of Scotland. I searched with wildcards and leaving out first names.

One more daughter showing for them on IGI in case you don't have it:

ALICE BLACK MORRISON  Birth: 30 DEC 1872 West Calder, Midlothian, Scotland

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 November 06 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Monica, I have just received your reply to my recent post. I only have details of a marriage on James birth certificate. However, I do know he did have a sister named Alice, whom my grandmother was named after. Could you give me more information as to your own source of info. Gail
Pender- Old Monkland.
Stirling- Old Monkland.

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 November 06 01:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gail

I couldn't resist looking for the unfound marriage and have to confess that yes it still is not found.  The wedding date given on the BC for your James interestingly does not match the wedding date given on the BC for his sister Alice!!!  This might mean William was forgetful.....it might mean that they were legally married and it just never was recorded.....However...that does not mean all is lost and you cannot go back another generation on your family!  Having a lot of Morrison's in my own tree (unfortunately none that seem to connnect to yours) I have a bit of sympathy for you when you run one of those searches on Scotlands People website and get page after page of possibilites.  Sooooo.....I've done some digging on your behalf.  I believe that you will be able to search for,  purchase and view the certificates for yourself with a few pointers to help zoom in on the right ones on the www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk website.

First thing was to try and locate your family on the 1881 census which was not simple but after some confirming searches I am sure they are........

Found living at Lothian Row 72 in Bo'ness, Linlithgow, Scotland which is sourced to FHL Film 0203707  and GROS  Volume 663,  EnumDist 7, and page 10 there are:

William MORRISON,    Widower age 47 b. Doun, Perth, Scotland
James MORRISON, son age 15 b. NK, Edinburgh, Scotland (don't ask what NK represents as I don't know!)
Isabella MORRISON, dau, age 10, b. Edinburgh, Scotland
Alice MORRISON, dau, age 8, b. Cobinshaw, Edinburgh, Scotland
Peter MORRISON, son age 6 m, b. Bathgate, Linlithgow, Scotland
James AITKEN, ad son, age 2, b. Armidale, Linlithgow, Scotland
Elizabeth AITKEN, umarried, servant, age 26, b.Torphichen, Linlithgow, Scotland

Now before you throw your hands in the air....do a search for the death of Ann CONNOR MORRISON using the maiden name and married name search technique on SP and there will only be one.  Then you'll see that she died before 1881 and from this you'll find the names of her parents!!

One thing that has eluded me is the mysterious Isabella.  So far I didn't find a birth, didn't find a death, and didn't find her on the 1871 census or the 1891 census!  I did find though that little Peter was born to the housekeeper Elizabeth AITKEN and William MORRISON before they wed.  The good news is that they did wed though!!  And from this marriage you'll find the parents named for William MORRISON.  You'll also find them living in Holytown for the 1891 census and not only is your James living with them but also his sister Alice and his half brothers and sisters.

Hope this is helpful...

Best wishes
Jean

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 November 06 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean.
 Thankyou for giving me some very worth while and rewarding information. I did indeed find Ann's death details. She passed away January 1878, aged 37. I have since spoken to my elderly aunt,who is almost 90!. She can recall Elizabeth as her "grandmother" and remembered that she had a son, James Aitken. As to the mysterious Isabella! My aunt recalls her "aunt belle" living nearby, in New Stevenston.
              Thanks again. You are a treasure.  Gail x
Pender- Old Monkland.
Stirling- Old Monkland.

Offline JustJean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 November 06 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gail

Just sent you a PM.  If I were you I'd write down every word your 90 year old aunt remembers!....She is your real treasure...dont' let it pass you by!  :)

Best wishes
Jean

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 November 06 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Gail

Just following on from the Perth postings. Here's a speculative idea for you! We have a possible marriage (although I think they may not actually have married) for William and Ann Connor in Dundee. You also have the birth of Isabella in Midlothian in 1871 which you haven't been able to find. I just tried searching for Isabella's birth with a mother only,  Ann Connor, and up came these entries for a father William Connor and mother Ann Connor, in the right places/times (no marriage under these names either):

1. SUSAN CONNOR  Birth: 20 APR 1869 Dundee, Angus, Scotland
2. ISABELLA CONNOR Birth: 03 JUL 1871 Colinton, Midlothian, Scotland

There is also a death for a Susan Connor in Dundee City in 1869 (which following this theory, would explain why Susan doesn't show in the 1881 Census):

1869   CONNOR   SUSAN   age 0   in LOCHEE @ DUNDEE CITY/ANGUS GROS Ref:282/05 0164

I wonder if this is your William and Ann? Goodness knows why it would have been recorded this way!

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 November 06 14:18 GMT (UK) »
The family are in Uphall, West Lothian in 1871, showing as boarders:

William, 40, married, gen. lab., b. Doun,Perthshire
Ann, 34, b. Ireland
James, 5, b. Edinburgh.

Monica

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 November 06 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Monica.
 Your details for 1871 would tie in, as I have an inkling that ANN may have come from Ireland. As for William, his given age here is 40 (suggesting birth @ 1841). In the 1881 census his age is given as 47 (suggesting birth @ 1834) Finally, I have a second ? marriage to ELIZABETH AITKEN in 1888 listing age as 57. I wonder if William even knew when he was born. Or like his phantom marriage to Ann, was it never registered? Do others have the same uncertainties as me?

Gail
Pender- Old Monkland.
Stirling- Old Monkland.