Author Topic: Not Thompson it's Jamieson  (Read 9011 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Not Thompson it's Jamieson
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 05 November 06 17:20 GMT (UK) »
This seems a really good fit, Monica  :)

My Robert Wilson, Shepherd was referred to in one census as an ag lab  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 05 November 06 18:37 GMT (UK) »
I'm not convinced.  To say you are from Kircudbright when you are from Wigtownshire is just not on.  I know I lived in the Stewartry in Creetown and they were very upset when they moved the county boundaries and put it into Wigtownshire.  It's a bit like saying a Canadian is from the USA.  Even specific areas are fiercely loyal.  There's the Rhinns and the Machars. I just can't think she would claim to be from Kircudbright if she was from Wigtownshire even if her dad was Irish.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 05 November 06 19:17 GMT (UK) »
It's where you first remember, duckweed.

Some of my ancestors said they were born Dumfriesshire but I have absolute proof - including letters, etc. - that they were born in the New Galloway/Balmaclellan/Parton area of Kirkcudbrightshire.

One has to be flexible in interpreting all the evidence.

At the end of the day, it's up to you to decide but I would like to say that a number of us have spent time and units looking for your ancestor and a Thank You might be polite.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 05 November 06 19:33 GMT (UK) »
I'm not ungreatful.  I don't have enough evidence to make a decision is all I'm saying.  I think I will get the marriage certificate and hopefully that will clear up the birthdate at least.  At the moment to me the New Abbey connection looks likely too.  It's a tricky one.  This side of the family has never been straightforward and has involved a lot more documents than the other side.  I'm going up to Scotland next year.  Maybe I can get more enlightenment then.  Thank you for all your trouble.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 05 November 06 20:14 GMT (UK) »
  I'd seen the other entry, also, Monica and Gadget...but not knowing the proximity, I thought I'd keep my nose out of that part...You are so right about the remembering where one was raised rather than where born as I spent only the 5 years of my teenhood in one town, and I say that's where I'm from until I oops...no it's so and so... :D
 My Great Grandfather has 3 different census entries...all the moves for his father's business, perhaps, made it very confusing as to where he was born. :P
  These are two of rootchat's best, and they've seen lots of scenarios...so a maybe file would be a good idea, right or wrong...
   J.J.

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 05 November 06 20:29 GMT (UK) »
There's just one last thing that's puzzling me  :-\

Duckweed - you are more convinced that Mary was the New Abbey one, with father James rather than the Kirkinner one with a father William but  cannot bring yourself to think that 'Scotland, Kirkinner' might just have been misinterpreted/misread or misremembered as Kirkcudbright.

Gadget   ??? ??? ???

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 05 November 06 21:30 GMT (UK) »
I didn't know that. I was going by a census report a friend gave me for 1841 and 1851.  Maybe you are right but since in the 1891 census the supplier of information is the Woman herself and she says Kircudbright to the census taker, I choose to believe her. I don't think either are a good fit.  Maybe she lied about her age too.  There are a lot of Jamiesons both in Kircudbright, Dumfries and Creetown but then it is a fairly common name.  I still can't find her in England in 1871.  I know she was living near Skipton in 1872 but I haven't made a match yet.  I haven't been able to put any substance to William either.  He was living in 1872 according to the parish records but had died by 1884. 

Offline florabrooks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 17 November 06 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,Duckweed,Have you tried to find out if your family of Jamieson,s are from the travelling people,I have Jamieson,s in my line who travelled in England and Scotland,My Jamieson,s were married into the Wilson family.As yet i dont know a lot about them as it is hard to get records.
What i do have is a Michael Jamieson married to a Grace Wilson, they were married in St margarets church York 1849.They had a Daughter Margaret who married a Thomas Wilson "dont know when or where yet", but i know that they had a son Thomas who was born in Liverpool 1880,Margaret Jamieson died in Paisley 1919 in the Showground Paisley.So i think that the families of Jamieson and Wilson may have been people who followed Travelling fairs.
  Also they mention of Creetown and surrounding areas,a lot of travelling people used to camp in these areas.
  Might be no connection at all, just thought i would let you know about my Jamieson,s.
   Good Luck with your search. Flo
tinsmiths and hawkers Watson,Wilson,Swales,Hartley,Neilson,Johnstone and many more
Dumbartonshire/Doran.Lees,Brooks,Boyle,Stewart
Argyllshire,Marquis,McCoag,Johnson,McEacheren,Sinclair and Bain

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 17 November 06 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks it's not something I had thought of but it is another avenue of research.  Jamieson seem to travel a lot generally.  Probably from the irish connection but also many are in the navy too.  I don't think mine are travellers by their occupations but then you do get travelling farm workers too I suppose.