Author Topic: Not Thompson it's Jamieson  (Read 9008 times)

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Not Thompson it's Jamieson
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 November 06 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Tried that, no joy.  He could have moved to Westmoreland/Lancaster just after she was born if she was born before 1851 and neither would be on the census.  I'll try the Lancashire/ Yorkshire sites as Mary's place of abode prioe to marriage was given as Gargrave Yorks.   

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 November 06 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Duckweed

So what we have is:

Mary Jamieson (father William Jamieson), marrying Stephen Thompson in Lancaster in 1872. She married for a second time in 1884. At the time of her first marriage she was living in Gargrave, Yorkshire.

Children - Rachel Elizabeth, Henry Jamieson, Mary Ann, Hanny (Hannah), Stephen.

On the Census of 1881, which you can access free on www.familysearch.org , where does she give as her place of birth and what age does she give. Does this suggest Scotland and a birth circa 1850?

I note that you say, family rumour has her born Kirkcudbright, possibly the town.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 November 06 12:54 GMT (UK) »
2 different census records her as 2 different ages but I have found a possible father in the 1841 census in Kircudbrightshire.  There is a William Jamieson born 1821 in Balmaclellan listed as an agricultural labourer. This would be before he was married if so.  So his marriage would be between 1841 and 1847 if Marys age in the first census I've found her in is correct.     

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 November 06 13:20 GMT (UK) »
I think what I would do if I were you, duckweed, is to trace Mary back through the 1871- 1861 censuses, rather than trace a possible father, William.  These might give vital information about her family of origin.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 November 06 13:31 GMT (UK) »
I have  the 1881 census and 1891 census which gives her birth date as 1849 and 1850.  I have the banns to both her weddings which give her father's name as William and that he is a Shepherd in one and an Agricultural Labourer in the other.  I know he died before 1884 the date of the second wedding.  I know Mary is in the 2nd census as born Scotland, Kircudbright.  I know the family have always maintained there is a connection with Kircudbright. I don't think I'm making huge leaps here.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 05 November 06 13:34 GMT (UK) »
I'm not saying that you are, duckweed. I'm just trying to follow her back to when she and her family might have left Scotland. If she moved with her family, the earlier censuses might well show William and a wife which would give us the lead that we need.

Do you have access to the earlier censuses or would you like us to look them up for you?

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 November 06 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi duckweed

I think I might have found a strongly possible baptism for your Mary:

5 November 1849 (goodness that's today!), Mary Jamieson, daughter of William Jamieson and Mary Smith, at Kirkinner, Wigtownshire.  Vol 889 Page 2.

Kirkinner parish is south of Wigtown and just across the water from Kirkmabreck. It's the only one that I can find with a father William. They might have moved to Kirkcudbright when she was young and she remembered it.

For map:

http://scotlandsfamily.com/parish-map-wigtown.htm

Check the IGI for other siblings.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 05 November 06 15:33 GMT (UK) »
The following baptisms are recorded in Kirkinner to William Jamieson and Mary Smith:

27 February 1837   Margaret
25 August 1839      Helen
19 April 1842          Mary (probably died)
22 December 1844  Agnes Gracie
5 November 1849    Mary

Gadget

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 05 November 06 17:15 GMT (UK) »
This is the entry in the 1851 Census for the William and Mary that Gadget is referring to in Kinkinner:

JAMMIESON William, 56, Agri. Labourer, head, b. Ireland
Address: Village of Marchfarm(889), Kinkinner

William and wife Mary (b. Kinkinner), with children and some lodgers all show in the household (x10 entries).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk