Author Topic: 1871 Census Oxwich: Aynge look-up  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Paper_Chase

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1871 Census Oxwich: Aynge look-up
« on: Friday 12 November 04 21:01 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to find the family of Henry Charles Augustus AYNGE (48)and wife Mary Ann (50), with or without children. He is a coast guard and I am virtually sure that they would be in the village of Oxwich. I ahve search the 1871 census with out success. In fact I cannot find anyone resident int he village, which makes me suspect that in fact the index for this part of the world has yet to be completed.
In the meanwhile if anyone has access I would be very grateful for some information.
Thanks in advance
Walker; Copnall; Wheeldon; Bartindale; Rabbit; Hardy; Gibbs; Bydder; Aynge; Lawson; Ollerhead; Chambers; Wilson; Winters; Dartnall; Davis; Walker; Riley; Westwood; Gibbons; Harrison....and then some more !!

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census: Aynge look-up
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 November 04 21:11 GMT (UK) »
I do have 1841 /51 / 61 Glamorganshire census returns if you should need assistance. However if you are not sure if the 1871 census has been transcribed you could try contacting the Glamorgan Family History Society they have many publications available if they have not got information on this region they may also be able to point you in the right direction:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~wlsglfhs/

Offline Paper_Chase

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census Oxwich: Aynge look-up
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 November 04 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the prompt reply.

I ahve the information from 1861, but it would be very useful to know if they were in the area in 1851 - I must admit I suspect not since their daughter (Julia Susanna) would be 3 in 1851 and she was born in Dartmouth in Devon in 1848. but if you could confirm this it would be very useful.
Walker; Copnall; Wheeldon; Bartindale; Rabbit; Hardy; Gibbs; Bydder; Aynge; Lawson; Ollerhead; Chambers; Wilson; Winters; Dartnall; Davis; Walker; Riley; Westwood; Gibbons; Harrison....and then some more !!

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 November 04 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello again. Checked the 1851 census and no one of that Surname (including soundex search) is listed in Glamorganshire

Also checked 1841 (just incase) and none listed then either. At least you can elimate them from the region at this time.

Many came from Devon in the 1860's for employment I have also found that many were Wesleyan Methodists & followed the temperance movement.

Offline Paper_Chase

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 November 04 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much - as you indicated it is nearly as important to rule out / exclude possibilties in our continous quest. Thanks again

Nigel