Author Topic: Ship owners - Sunderland & South Shields  (Read 132205 times)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ship owners - Sunderland & South Shields
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 30 October 08 22:00 GMT (UK) »
P.S. I said in my next-to-last post that Joseph Logan THOMPSON went bankrupt. So did the partnership of THOMPSON & LEE. Certainly not the only ones. In Google Books, you can find references to the bankruptcies of some of the others incl.  John SNOWDON and James ROBERTSON.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 31 October 08 17:18 GMT (UK) »
P.P.S.

By now in your combing of Google Books backwards and forwards and sideways, one book should have jumped out at you as a useful one to buy for information on this family.  I refer to:

Black Wolf: The Life of Ernest Thompson Seton
By Betty Keller
Published by Douglas & McIntyre, 1984

It comes up quite frequently on eBay. I have had the honour of knowing many of her sources.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 01 November 08 21:27 GMT (UK) »
I've been doing a bit of tidying up on my info for my mate, and have unearthed a few things that had to date remained hidden to me (but others may have already unearthed them).

I had been struggling to locate Henry Lee in 1871. But I have now found him in Liverpool.  This makes sense because as Cherielynn has already posted, his daughters Harriet and Caroline married the Kidd brothers in Liverpool.  Anyway, Henry was a Ship Broker, living at 136 Crown Street, Liverpool, with wife Ann, daughter Clara Jane, 2 lodgers and a servant. 

I have also found Mary Thompson nee Logan in the 1861 census.  Enoch Donkerley Thompson is at daughter Annie Lee's house, but I couldn't find his wife anywhere.  No wonder, because she was in St Helier Jersey with son Evan the medical student.  I found this by checking the entry for 13 Albion Terrace, Westoe - which said unoccupied - away in Jersey (or something like that) - and hey presto.  But this will, I am sure, not be news for westoe!

I am pretty sure that Cherielynn is right about Clara Jane Lee marrying John Kendall.

Now to get to grips with google books  ::)

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 01 November 08 23:45 GMT (UK) »

I have also found Mary Thompson nee Logan in the 1861 census.  Enoch Donkerley Thompson is at daughter Annie Lee's house, but I couldn't find his wife anywhere.  No wonder, because she was in St Helier Jersey with son Evan the medical student. 

For his lungs. Earlier in this thread I mentioned the tuberculosis.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Westoe - I thought as much when I saw it.

I am now on the bankruptcy trail.  Henry Lee was a sucker for punishment (or a rascal) as I have found him (in the London Gazette) declared bankrupt twice - 30 December 1864 in South Shields, and then again 11 June 1867 in Liverpool.   :o
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline Spanish_Eyes

• RootsChat Senior
  • John - James William & Peter Elmer Sabiston
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have a Robert M. Thompson born 1824 in County Tyrone, Ireland in their family line??

He married Elizabeth Ann Hamilton abt 1862 in Ontario,,,,,,Elizabeth Ann Hamilton was born in 1846.

I have Robert as the brother of a Joseph L. Thompson which could be Logan.

Spanish Eyes
Sabiston - Flett - Flette - Tourangeau - McDonald - Folster - Creelman - Linklater - Sorell - Cox - Kirkness - Harper - Bruce - Inkster - Patten - Fidler - Whyte...<br /><br />Orkey Islands, Scotland - British Columbia, Canada - Alberta, Canada - Saskatchewan, Canada - Manitoba, Canada - Ontario, Canada.

I Live In Aldergrove, BC, Canada (Outskirts Of Vancouver).

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 09 November 08 21:07 GMT (UK) »

I am now on the bankruptcy trail.  Henry Lee again 11 June 1867 in Liverpool.

And EDT resigned as one of his assignees in the Liverpool bankruptcy:
Gazette Issue 23273 published on the 9 July 1867. Page 60 of 64

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 10 November 08 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cherielynn,

A few more bits and pieces:

1) I expect you've already seen this:
.....Christmas trees in individual homes were still a rarity. The very first one in the town was said to have been brought in by the shipowner Joseph Logan Thompson who, at various times, had homes in Harton Village, Mile End Road and what is now Beach Road.
http://www.shieldsgazette.com/cookson/Christmas-in-the-workhouse.3597681.jp

2) A James Hutton KIDD was one of the executors of EDT's will in 1875.
on the 31st day of March, 1875, by William Henry
Dickinson, of Jarrow, in the county of Durham, Farmer,
and James Hutton Kidd, of the same place, Clothier

3) EDT gets a brief mention (for political activity) on P145 of:
The Borough of South Shields: From the Earliest Period to the Close of the Nineteenth Century
By George B. Hodgson
Published by A. Reid, 1903

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 10 November 08 20:32 GMT (UK) »
An elder sister for James Hutton "Gala Apples" Kidd:

Millicent Kidd - birth registered Q4 1876 South Shields Reg District, but Baptised 10 October 1877 Hexham, Northumberland, alongside her (younger) brother James Hutton Kidd.

JULIAN