Author Topic: Dowdeswells  (Read 5873 times)

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
Dowdeswells
« on: Wednesday 08 November 06 00:42 GMT (UK) »
 I have come across several Dowdeswells living in Brecon on various Censuses. Do they belong to anyone out there?
   My Dowdeswells, based originally in the Merthyr area, but later scattered around Sputh Wales, are descended from Thomas Dowdeswell, a railway platelayer, born Gloucester, 1830. In the 1841 Census he was 11, living at Barton St, Barton St Mary, with his father, also Thomas, a labourer, and mother Ann; plus siblings Nathaniel, George (who also moved to Wales, but again to the Valleys), and baby Caroline.
   I've yet to find any collection to the Brecon mob, but it seems likely that they also have West Country origins. Can anybody help?
   Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dai bark

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dowdeswells
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 February 07 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi
(posh) Dowdeswells lived at Pull Court Bushley near Tewkesbury.  Remember the first-born son kept the big money leaving also-rans.
Dai

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 February 07 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Dai, I know about the Pull Court mob; they even included a Chancellor of the Exchequer. But there are umpteen Dowdeswells in Glos and Somerset and, while some of them are no doubt related to mine (and I'll get around to them some day) it's the branch of the family that moved to Brecon which intrigues me.

Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Offline Dai bark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 February 07 11:16 GMT (UK) »
oops sorry, was not thinking, locked in ascendant mode
Dai

Offline Carrie Ann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 March 07 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is any help but there were Dowdeswells in Ebbw Vale too ,not far from Merthyr or Brecon.
Coram Allen Jayne  Dev/Som/Gloucestershire
Chambers Brecs/Rads//Hereford/Merthyr/Ebbw Vale
Jones/ Prosser/Probert/ Clyro,Rads
Price/Farr/Chambers Glasbury Brecs
Warby/Worldwide

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 March 07 11:11 GMT (UK) »
In St. John's churchyard, Clydach there is this war grave for William Dowdeswell, son of Mary Dowdeswell of 28 Free Street, Brecon.

I don't know whether he is connected with the line you are researching, but here it is just in case. (Hope it works!)

Bev.  :)
Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 March 07 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, both.
I believe the Ebbw Vale Dowdeswells are descendants of George, Thomas's brother, who moved to Monmouthshire.
The grave - fantastic photo, Bev - definitely seems to belong to one of the Brecon group.
I wish I'd actually made notes each time I stumbled across one on the censuses. After several months, it does look as though there are no RCers directly connected to them, so I guess I'll have to check them out myself and see if I can answer my own question. Still, it's all part of the fun :)
  Gareth

Offline linefinder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 October 12 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Garethboxing
This seems to be my gang. I am new to this FH obsession but am back to Thomas and Ann Dowdeswell both born in 1811. In the 1841 census shown to be living in Gloucester Union South Hamlet St Mary-de-Lode's Gloucestershire with the following children.

Ann 1830
Thomas 1830
Nathaniel 1832
George 1835 (my GGGG Grandfather)
Mary Ann 18440
James 1845
Charles William 1847-1848

In the 1871 census George was an engine driver and then ran the King William Vaults at 81 Watton Brecknock with his wife Elizabeth until his death in 1897. Elizabeth still ran the King William Vaults until her died in 1915 but I think the pub name might of changed to the Kings Arms Vaults  sometime after George's death.

The photo posted by BevBee is the grave of George and Elizabeth's Grandson William John  1879-1919 I did not have this.

Many thanks to BevBee and to yourself as you have confirmed some of my finds

Linefinder