Author Topic: Hargitt - Comb Manufacturer, York  (Read 3281 times)

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Hargitt - Comb Manufacturer, York
« on: Wednesday 08 November 06 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

This is my first posting 'south of the border'... I have been researching the Hacket family in Aberdeen and have come across some Hargate's (as written in the burial register) or more accurately Hargitt's (as appears on death certif/census on Scotland's People). In 1871 John James Hargitt is the head of household, working as an Overseer at the Combworks in Aberdeen, his wife is Elisabeth Gowanson.

In the burial register are two Vincent Hargate's (Hargitt's) and a Richard Hargate (Hargitt). These are in a family burial plot belonging to the Hacket's.

The Hargitt's are from England and I have a suspicion they are from Yorkshire as a I did find a Vincent Hargitt listed.

I cannot understand why Hargate's would be buried in a Hacket family plot... I wonder if the name  changed over a period of time and eventually became Hacket. These two families must be closely connected.

I have posted this here in case anyone in Yorkshire is researching this line and may be missing a few Hargitt's.

Further to the above, I have come across in the York Directory of Trades and Professions for 1823 a John Hargitt, Comb Manufacturer, Bootham Bar, York and also in the 1840 Directory a John James Hargitt of Eldon Street.

I know that the father of the above Vincent Hargitt was John James Hargitt and that he subsequently worked in Aberdeen as a Comb Manufacturer, hence I think it is the same one.

Anyone know anything of the history of Comb Making in York? There was also a large Comb Works in Aberdeen.

Thank you...
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...