Author Topic: WWI Medal Cards query  (Read 2222 times)

Offline Mogsmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WWI Medal Cards query
« on: Thursday 09 November 06 10:30 GMT (UK) »
I have 2 WWI medal cards - but ... (why is there always a 'but'?)

NOYES, Harry William Pte. DM2/206544  Army Service Corps, Motor Transport (Image Ref: 14496/2454).  There are entries on this card which I don't undertand. 

In the top right , I think it says 'Causes of Discharge' beneath which is written:  "S" beneath that "A C 265/7" and beneath that "Para 2 b 1".  There then follows the information on the type of medal he was awarded then, under a heading "Action taken", it appears to say "L:sT A SC/2051" - I suppose that "L:sT" could be a  "Ist".   Could anyone please tell me what these entries mean?

The other card concerns FRENCH, Edward Linton Pte. G23600 East Kent Regiment (Image Ref: 88993/26092).  With help from other members here, I have a pretty good idea when Pte. French joined this Regiment, but I had hoped that the card would tell me when and/or where he was wounded - unfortunately it doesn't.   Is there any way I can find out this information?

I wish I could get to the Records Office personally to look these up and follow them through, but unfortunately that's impossible, so any help would be very much appreciated.

Offline themonsstar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: WWI Medal Cards query
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 November 06 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi
No1 with out seeing it, sounds like the Silver war badge card. s=sick.

No2 medal index card.

Can you post them on here so we can see them cheers

Offline Mogsmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 November 06 09:12 GMT (UK) »
This will be the first time I've tried posting an image - not being of a technical bent, it may yet all go 'pear shaped', but here goes ...

Offline themonsstar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 November 06 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mogsmum
And thank you for posting the cards, all helps.

No1 the Silver War Badge Card
His Army number is DM/? 206544 ( ?could be a number 2). MD= Mechanical Transport Learners.

As for is discharge, he was sick. the a o 265/17. para 2b 1.
a o= Army Orders 265/1917 para 2 B i .

(b) Those who, having served as soldiers and being still of military age, have been discharged under the conditions set forth at (i) and (ii) in a.

i. After service overseas in the armed forces of the Crown, on account of disablement or ill-health caused otherwise than by misconduct.

As for his service in the War, he was working in the Motor Transport in the Army Service Corps.

He has two medals the British War Medal & the Victory Medal. He did not go overseas until after 1 Jan 1916. There will be another medal index card for him at Kew.

No 2 This is a Medal index Card for a lad in the East Kent Regiment. You will have to go to the National Archives to see what Battalion he was in.

Offline Mogsmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 November 06 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Themonsstar

Very many thanks for your help.

Harry Noyes' No. was indeed DM2/206544 - your explanation of the notations on his card was most helpful.

As for Edward French, with help from another kind soul on here, I do know which Battalion he was in, and it was this same person who told me Edward had been injured.   I had hoped the medal card would give some clue to the injury, unfortunately not.

Again, my grateful thanks
MM