Author Topic: New Record Office at Woodhorn  (Read 3629 times)

Offline Irene B

• RootsChat Senior
  • My family tree is full of nuts
    • View Profile
New Record Office at Woodhorn
« on: Friday 10 November 06 15:38 GMT (UK) »
I went there today and there is lots of space, lots of Microfilm readers and the staff are as helpful as ever BUT be prepared to pay £2 for parking, and walk a long way to the ugly modern building (nowhere on the map you are given will you find the words Archives or Record Office).

I do wonder which idiot planner decided to put a children's play area just outside the automatic doors to the study room.  As they move around the doors open and there is a cold draught and a lot of noise.
Main, Rossiter, - Northumberland<br />Wibberley, Walwyn, Cadman, - Staffordshire<br />Saiger, Blackburn  - County Durham<br />

Offline SallyF

• RootsChat Senior
  • My mum and big brother
    • View Profile
Re: New Record Office at Woodhorn
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 November 06 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ireneb,

I was wondering if anyone had been yet.  Sounds ok, apart from the play area. 

I must make time to travel up sometime soon.

Sally
Foreman, McAlpine, Bainbridge - Northumberland
White, Keeley, Golding - Suffolk
Johnson - Staffordshire
Wild, Green, Cusworth - Yorkshire (West Riding)

Offline Trini

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 November 06 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ireneb,

It sounds like an absolute nightmare to get to for those of us relying on public transport :(

Trini.
ALLISON/LECK/LEGG/LEMON/WINTER/RIDLEY/CRANSTON/WALTON. Northumberland and Durham

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Irene B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 November 06 20:00 GMT (UK) »
I did see a bus there, but I'm not sure where it came from.

Irene B
Main, Rossiter, - Northumberland<br />Wibberley, Walwyn, Cadman, - Staffordshire<br />Saiger, Blackburn  - County Durham<br />

Offline Trini

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 November 06 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Irene B.

Apparently, one must take a bus to Ashington bus station, and then have to take a bus from there.  Not sure of the frequency, but it still sounds like a nightmare......:)

Trini.

ps.  Oh for some city or town-based record offices..............
ALLISON/LECK/LEGG/LEMON/WINTER/RIDLEY/CRANSTON/WALTON. Northumberland and Durham

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sallysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • sally and her mum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 November 06 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Sounds steep - £2 for parking.  Is that all day and is there ample parking?  Not knowing the area, is it easy to find?

Sallysmum
Pearson Newcastle/Allendale<br />Sparke Allendale<br />Rees, Davies Pembrokeshire<br />Spence Leyburn<br />Foster Armley to battle creek USA<br />Leeming N Yorkshire<br />Stewart or Stuart Gateshead
Scott Leyburn
Roantree Leyburn

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 November 06 12:13 GMT (UK) »
New local bus, "A6" runs half-hourly, on the quarters, from Ashington Bus Station,(ABS),  directly into the Centre.
£1 single, £1.50 return ( Journey time about 6/7 mins)

Service starts from ABS at 7.45 am, then 8.15 then 1/2 hourly until 12.15. Then gap, then restarts at 13.45, then again 1/2 hrly until after well after closing time at 4pm.

I think the stand is the one adjacent to the Rohan Kanhia pub, on Woodhorn Road ( which is where buses from Newcastle, X31 X32 etc, offload)

I was there yesterday (Sunday) but walked ( about 30 mins each way, ) cos I did not know about this bus.

About quarter of filmreaders occupied.

Michael Dixon
Newcastle
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Irene B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 November 06 19:58 GMT (UK) »
£2 is for all day, but if you are a regular visitor it gets expensive.  If you want to visit the 'free' museum be prepared to pay £6.95 to see the mine and £4.95 for the behind the scenes tour.  Beamish seems quite cheap!

There is a cafe. 

If you go up the spine road head towards Lynemouth/Woodhorn then it is signposted.  If you come from the north (Ellington) again head towards Lynemouth/Woodhorn.  Look for the brown signs.  Archives are signposted outside, it is only once you get there that you are left to your own devices

Irene B

Offline Pialba

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 November 06 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Oh! dear, all your letters regarding the new Woodhorn Records Office, is daunting. I am hoping to visit there whe I come to England in March to June next year, and was going to go to  Woodhorn when I was visiting a cousin in Ashington. Hopefully by then, the "teething problems" may have worked themselves out, and things are a bit more workable and "people friendly".
Irene B. I notice your are researching the name Ridley in Northumberland. Whereabouts in Northumberland is your Ridley. I am trying to find information on a John Ridley born about 1837 at Haltwhistle who married an Isabell/Isabella Bird. I think John was a cousin of a Charlton Ridley and may have had a sister Julie, not sure, as Charlton and Julia were the witnesses of John and Isabel at their marriage.
Twiggy