Author Topic: Copies of War Diaries from TNA  (Read 3289 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Copies of War Diaries from TNA
« on: Friday 10 November 06 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,
A newsletter arrived by e-mail from TNA today in which the War Diaries were talked up, so I did a quick search and discovered that they hold a diary that my gt-uncle must have written in WW1.  Has anyone used this service to get hold of war diaries relating to their own family, and is it value for money?  I imagine some diaries must be quite long.
Liverpool Annie, are you out there somewhere...?
Very best wishes,
keith

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
Re: Copies of War Diaries from TNA
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 November 06 21:44 GMT (UK) »

Hi Keith, is it the same system as ordering copies of documents, if so you should be able to get a quote for the cost. 

When you click on 'Request this' it will ask if you want a printed or digital copy and Request an estimate.

I recently got 8 pages of a military record printed and posted plus change from a fiver :D so pretty good value I'd say.

Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 November 06 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Suey,
I've always found it difficult navigating around the TNA website for some reason, but I think I've discovered the link re estimating the cost that you mention.  So I'll wait my patient wait now and see how much it's going to set me back.  Feel sure it's going to be worth it, somehow.
Thanks very much for responding,
keith

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 November 06 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith

To give you some idea, each diary may cover a period of up to 3 or 4 months, depending upon how much information is given.  I would guess, from memory, that each diary is about 20 pages - my other computer, which has pictures of a complete diary on it - has just decided to throw a wobbly so I can't check.   :-[

They were completed by the CO and detail the day's events.  It is very rare to find any reference to individual soldiers by name.

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 November 06 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Bill,
This is all very interesting.  The chap whose diary I'm after is listed as a Lieutenant, who presumably only had charge of a small body of men - a platoon, maybe.  He later in the war became a major before he was wounded and his war ended in this way.  Have no idea what kind of written document this might be, therefore I wait with bated breath!
Regards,
keith

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 November 06 02:44 GMT (UK) »
keith,a copy of a war diary could cost you about £200,it depends on how many pages there are,if you are determined to get the war diary that your uncle wrote,then the only thing i can help you with that will save you a lot of money is,get hold of monsstar on this site,roy is a researcher at kew,and hes very reasonable,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline themonsstar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 November 06 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi
A War Diary is a daily record of operations, intelligence reports and other events kept for each unit by an appointed junior officer, not the CO, It is not a personal diary. As war diaries were written in carbonised form, and you may find some are difficult to read. Many were scribbled hastily in pencil, some use obscure abbreviations. Some diaries will record little more than daily losses, map references, It is unusual for diaries to mention the names of ordinary soldiers. But saying that, i have found them with this info in them. Remember War diaries were written when all hell was going on outside there door, so you must forgive them if thy did not write about your family.

Tell us the unit you are looking for as i have a few war diaries(you may be lucky) & lots of Regiment historys at my finger tips. Cheers R

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 November 06 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much, Manmack, for alerting Themonsstar (I presume your username is related to Mons, rather than some kind of frightening beast from mythology!),
So, Themonsstar, the reference I have for my great-uncles diary is:
WO339/7844  Lieutenant SRK (Stanley Ronald Kershaw) GURNER.
He was gazetted as an officer in the 8th Battalion, the Rifle Brigade, part of the 14th (Light) Division in the new Kitchener Army in 1914.  He was transferred to the newly formed divisional Cyclists Company, and went overseas with them on 19th May 1915.  In May 1916 the 14th Division Cyclists were brigaded with other divisional companies to become the 6th Corps Cyclists Battalion.
He did various supporting duties at the battle of Ypres, and in action, supporting the 6th Bedfords at the Battle of Arras on 10th April 1917, he was seriously wounded, the deep snow freezing his wound and stopping him bleeding to death.
I hope there's enough detail there to perhaps come up with a suggestion or comment or two...!
Very best wishes,
keith

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 November 06 17:12 GMT (UK) »

Sorry to butt in (I seem to make a habit of it on your threads Keith :()

When you say
were written in carbonised form
is that a 'carbon copy' and there was an original elsewhere?  I have seen first world war records written in what looks like purple pencil.  I assumed it was an indelible pencil not the ordinary kind  :-\

Suey

ps I do hope you don't have to fork out £200. quid Keith eek!
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins