Author Topic: Copies of War Diaries from TNA  (Read 3287 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Copies of War Diaries from TNA
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 16 November 06 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Minor panic over,
When I transferred the message to another file, I managed to get into TNA site, and it's over 100 sheets at 45p per A3 sheet, and it's going to cost £55-80p plus about £6 postage.  Will consult my Bank Manager now and decide whether to give things the green light.  (Think I really ought to, though, just to see his handwriting, don't you?)
keith

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 17 November 06 03:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I received a newsletter last week from the National Archives saying that they had copies of war diaries online.
I looked for the one for the 5th Manchester Regiment in Gallipoli for July 1915. For £3.50 I downloaded the pages for July and looked for the day of the 12th. There were few casualties that day, 2 killed, 5 wounded and my grandad was one of the two killed.
Now, I'm wondering why, if there were so few casualties, what happened to my grandad as he has no known grave. This means I suppose that there wasn't a body found to bury.
The notes in the diary are very short and to the point as is to be expected.
Regards,
Pat

pte 2115 john jones and CQMS 261 alexander sanderson could have been hit directly by a shell,CQMS dont go in the front line,they organise the supply lines,the turks lobbed high explosive shells into the transport lines all the time because they knew that there were men and supplys there,so they are sure of hitting something,maybe your grandfather was helping CQMS sanderson with distribution of supplies when he was killed,or he was killed and his grave was lost,CQMS sanderson is also missing,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Scarletwoman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 17 November 06 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Keith

I've just read this thread through, and may have missed something relevant, but the reference you give for your documents [WO339/7844] isn't a diary of any sort, but his service record.  So it won't be any sort of account written by him, and much will relate to the 'boring' bits of his service - official slips and documentation, but within 100 pages there would hopefully be something worth having.
It might work out cheaper to use a professional researcher to have a look at it, and pick out anything worthwhile and photograph it or copy it for you.

Sue
Scarletfinders - Researching British Military Nurses from 1880, mainly Great War period

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 17 November 06 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Sue,
Thanks very much for that cautionary advice.  Will have second thoughts on it all now...
Very best wishes,
keith

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 22:12 GMT (UK) »
For FrenchDressing: I echo Manmack's comments - your relative may have been buried in a temporary grave which was later lost due to inadequate marking. It doesn't necessarily follow that lots of people were simply 'vaporised' by explosions.

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 03 December 06 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
Just an update here to tell you that I went with Monsstar doing the work for me for a fraction of what TNA wanted to charge me for duplicating the relevant details of my gt-uncle.  I now have over 400 images on my computer, the majority of which are indeed the War Diary he wrote for his battalion - over 30 of these booklets, which covered at least a month each.  A fascinating read, and possibly as he had been a teacher before the war his script is legible and the content is not at all abbreviated.
A virtual family history treasure, but cannot help imagining in what terrible and trying circumstances those words were scribbled down...
keith

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 03 December 06 21:03 GMT (UK) »

That's terrific Keith !! themonstar is a good man !  :)

And to have it in your Great Uncles handwriting too ............ how wonderful !!

Gives me shivers though ........... it's so humbling reading about all the awful stuff that went on and the conditions they all went through ........ makes you wonder how they could possibly come home and act normally ... those that did of course !! :'( :'( :'(

Congratulations !

Annie  :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 03 December 06 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the update Keith, made all the more personal by the fact that your Great Uncle wrote it.

Good stuff all round!

Wendi :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 03 December 06 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, Annie (our paths haven't crossed on the same thread for a while!)
Yes, it is extremely good to be able to look at these 90-year-old records and imagine the scenario.
And of course most of the people involved in this particular conflict - those lucky enough to actually survive it - were deeply affected by the whole experience.  My gt-uncle appears as one of twelve people, who had either prose or poetry published, in a book by Hugh Cecil pub. in 1995 entitled:"The Flower of Battle"; the whole point of the book being to show how this dreadful conflict did involve a heavy price being paid by those concerned in later years...
Nice to know that you're still very much about on here...
Very best wishes,
keith
...and Wendi, thanks very much for those comments (didn't spot your post till after I'd laboriously tapped out mine).  Just think how useful laptops would have been, thinking about it, though the batteries would soon have run out, no doubt...