Author Topic: Complete Martha JACKSON 1881 onwards  (Read 4864 times)

Offline PatV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Complete Martha JACKSON 1881 onwards
« on: Saturday 11 November 06 13:10 GMT (UK) »
This is all I have about Martha then she and all her children disappear. I can't even find a marriage for her. They must have all emigrated or simply changed their surname.

Martha Jackson (born ~1837 Belton, Lincolnshire to William and Ann

1841 Census: 4 in North Crofts Field, Belton, Lincs with William 25 Agricultural Labourer, Ann 25 and Hannah 2 .(HO107/627/16)

1851 Census: 15 House Servant in Fishlake, Near Thorne on the Chatburn’s farm.(HO/107/2349)

1861 Census: 23 House Servant in Church Town Belton in the household of Richard Kettlewell, Farmer with her daughter Matilda 7 months. (RG9/3523)

1871 Census: 33 Charwoman in Armthorpe, Doncaster  with her children Matilda 10, Sarah Ann 7, Arthur 5, Richard 3 and William 1. The children were born at Belton, Armthorpe, Belton, Doncaster and Armthorpe. (RG10/4723)

She was amazingly busy this last decade, wasn't she?
Has anyone a hope of finding her? Maybe she doesn't want to be found.

Pat V
Hepplewhite(Durham Derbys) Cox (Yorks Derbys Beds) Vollans(Yorks) Oates(Yorks) Hay(Scot Derbys) Pendleton(Derbys) Jackson(Lincs) Cook/e(Yorks) Shewster(Scot) Hutton(Durham) Hutchinson(Derbys)Sawford(Beds) Firth(Yorks) Ogden(Sheffield)Richardson(Lincs)Hesselgrave(Yorks)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Jackson 1881 onwards
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 November 06 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Pat,

A possibility??

Maybe all of the previous children were Richard's??

If this is Martha-she was even busier during this decade!!

1881 Scotton Yorks
Crappell? lane
Richard Kettlewell Head M 59 No profession Kidby Lincs
Martha Kettlewell wife M 44 Belton Lincs
William son 11 Yorks Armthorpe
Wallter (double"l") son 9 Armthorpe
Frederick 7 Armthorpe
John son 5 Armthorpe
George H son 3 Scotton
Joseph R son 1 Scotton
Wm C

all children in name of Kettlewell

last entry has no age p.o.b. or surname

RG11 3293 40 9

In 1871 Richard kettlewell was described as married , an annuitant lodging at the Crown Inn
Do you want this census ?
If you think the 1881 is Martha -do you want me to investigate further???

Suz

Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PatV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 November 06 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Dear Suz

Hello there! We meet again ....... still performing magic I see.   How did you find them?  Just a hunch?!

Well this a todo.  I wonder how his wife felt? Especially back in1861 when Matilda was 7 months old. Maybe she wasn't his & they were just being kind giving her a job.
In 1861 Richard was 44 "Farmer of 5 ?acres?  and Fund holder" ........ make sense?  He & his wife Sarah (born Keighley) had five children ......... plus servant Martha and baby Matilda.

In 1871, was the Crown Inn in Belton or Armthorpe?

I notice that in 20 years the difference in their ages has gone from 21 to 15 years.  Strange about that last Wm C ............ yet another William?!

Anyway, thankyou very much once more.  I would like to know how she got on if you've time.  It's wonderful you've found her.
All the best
Pat

Hepplewhite(Durham Derbys) Cox (Yorks Derbys Beds) Vollans(Yorks) Oates(Yorks) Hay(Scot Derbys) Pendleton(Derbys) Jackson(Lincs) Cook/e(Yorks) Shewster(Scot) Hutton(Durham) Hutchinson(Derbys)Sawford(Beds) Firth(Yorks) Ogden(Sheffield)Richardson(Lincs)Hesselgrave(Yorks)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 November 06 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Just been having a look around -and it seems the martha found in 1881 is probably martha jackson

messingham Lincs
Hall Farm Cottages
Martha R Kettlewell Head W 49 Ret farmer's wife (crossed through) Washerwoman and general work Belton
John Kettlewell son 15 Farmers day boy Yorks Armthorpe
Joseph R son 9 Lincs Scotton
RG12 2628 137 2

1901 -looks like George and Joseph Kettlewell were living with sister matilda??

I was posting at the same time as you!!!!!

Will chase them up now

Rotherham Yorks
53 Wilson gardens
George bessindale Head M 54 Carter at Ironworks Lincs belton
Matilda wife 40 Belton
Martha A daughter 4 Yorks Mosborough
George Kettlewell Boarder S 22  Platelayer on Railway Lincs Scotten
Joseph Kettlewell boarder 20 Lincs Scotten

RG13 4396 139 10

marriage freeBMD
Mar qtr 1890
Thorne reg dist
on same page
George Bassindale
Matilda Kettlewell
9c 817

It seems Matilda's birth reg as Jackson, she was Jackson in census til 1881 when she was Kettlewell, and she married using the name Kettlewell-perhaps the children started using the name Kettlewell by 1881 when their Mother and Richard Kettlewell (who it seems was very possibly the father of all/most of the children) were living as man and wife ?????

1881 Gainsborough Lincs
Melville St
Frederick Benson 32 Cabinet maker emp 4 men 5 apprentices Lincs
Beatrice H 34Yorks
Maude H 3 Lincs
Hilda B 3mths incs
MATILDA KETTLEWELL  servant 21  Servant Domestic Lincs belton

RG11 3295 91 4

William Bassingdale head W 77 farmer
George son M 44 Farmers son
MATILDA  daughter in law M 32
all B Belton

RG12 3868 57 20

I will leave this for your perusal -and if you are convinced this is the family you are seeking, if you wish, I will "chase" the whereabouts of Martha's other children

Suz

Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline PatV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 November 06 15:27 GMT (UK) »
You've been SO busy!

I've found Richard's death in 1890 .......... hence the widow. I can't find Sarah (wife) or Martha's deaths.

That's fine now Suz ........ unless you can find the above.

Matilda and her two brothers were near their Aunty Hannah in 1901. I wonder if they knew.

Many thanks for your help .......... off to bed now ......... 11.30 and I've 23 gingerbread suits to work on tomorrow (Nutcracker ballet)

Cheers

Pat

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 November 06 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Richard in1871 is in Belton-which for some reason has been placed in Yorks-but it is the same one as 1861 (in Lincs) address is Church Town-same as 61 when he was with wife Sarah
Churchtown Belton (Lincs)
Crown Inn
Joseph Gimhouse 59 InnKeeper Belton
Sarah wife 50 Lincs haxey
Catherine Lambert neice 11 Scotland Aberdeen
Richd Kettlewell 50 M Annuitant Lincoln Kidby
RG10 4725 67 11

Suz

Offline PatV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 November 06 01:28 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou, SuzPat

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 November 06 02:01 GMT (UK) »
There are a couple of deaths for Martha Jackson in Yorks which would fit in with her age - but don't know if her death would be Jackson or Kettlewell

No death record of Sarah Kettlewell - can't find a trace of her or her children after 1861 -another mystery.

Good luck with the gingerbread costumes - my last attempt at theatrical costumes was for 6 mermaids -that was OK -but then they wanted me to make the ocean!!!!
"Give em the moon and they want the stars"!!

Suz

Offline PatV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 November 06 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Well............. I think I've found her.

I think she married Joseph Smith Brooks in Doncaster in the Dec Quarter 1892 and in 1901 was with him back in ................... wait for it....................... BELTON!!!

Can you see who else (hopefully) was with them in 1901?

You've got to hand it to her............. what a woman!

The R is interesting .......... wonder if she adopted it for Richard. I think he died in the March Quarter 1891 (hence the crossing out confusion on the Census you mentioned) in Aysgarth of all places. What WAS he doing there? His income is a mystery ........... wonder if there's a will?

Anyway good to know Matilda had enough time for her to call her only (I presume) child  Martha.

Take care

Pat